Senseless act - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:00 PM

Default Senseless act

Snowmobilers Run Over Five Deer, Kill Four by Justin Zarr 13. January 2009 11:33
It seems like not a day goes by when you don't read about or hear about people doing things that simply blow your mind. I just received this story via e-mail from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal about some idiot snowmobilers who ran over and killed 4 deer in a field - a completely senseless and inhumane act that defies all rationale. I sincerely hope someone finds out who these guys are and they get their just dues. Unbelievable!
WAUSAU, Wis. (AP) -- A group of snowmobilers in central Wisconsin herded and killed four deer and severely injured a fifth in what a warden called a senseless act of cruelty on Monday.
No arrests have been made in the Saturday morning incident about five miles south of Waupaca, said Ted Dremel, a state Department of Natural Resources warden.
There's talk of closing all snowmobile trails in Waupaca County until the "rogue snowmobilers" are caught, he said.
"It is senseless. I don't know how else to describe it," Dremel said. "It is probably something they thought was fun or humorous at the time. They did purposely run over these deer. The tracks in the snow were in a circular manner, almost looking like they were chasing the deer back to other snowmobile partners."
Randy Yorkson, who farms the land, said people cannot believe what happened.
"I am going to guess it is somebody who left a bar. They probably had been using that trail before, knowing the deer were out there," he said. "This is just some yahoos who don't have any common sense."
Landowner Virginia Niemuth, 80, immediately shut off access to her property, closing five miles of the main snowmobile trail across Waupaca County.
"There's sick people out there," Niemuth said. "I used to love to snowmobile, but this is too much."
Dremel believes three or four snowmobiles were involved in a roundup of deer in a moonlit alfalfa field where 30 to 40 animals were known to feed. Witnesses reported hearing snowmobiles in the area about 3:30 a.m., he said.
Three deer were found dead in the field. A snowmobile stopped atop one and ripped open its stomach, Dremel said. A fourth deer with broken legs was euthanized.
The fifth deer was dragged from the field and tied to a tree about 25 feet from a road. Investigators think someone may have planned to return for that deer, Dremel said.
"It looked like the deer wrapped itself around the tree and choked itself to death," he said.
Dremel said he has never heard of this kind of "cowboy-style" attack on deer with snowmobiles.
"Usually, it is an accident -- a deer standing in a trail and a snowmobiler can't avoid it," he said.
The dead deer included two bucks and three does. One was a fawn.
Investigators have no suspects. Six snowmobile clubs have offered a combined $7,500 for information leading to arrests, Dremel said. The Waupaca County Crime Stoppers and Fox Valley Humane Association in Appleton also have offered rewards totaling $1,500.
Investigators have received some leads but none from a witness or someone who talked to anyone involved, Dremel said.
Information can be phoned into the DNR's tip line at 1-800-TIP-WDNR.
"This is not characteristic of the snowmobile community in Wisconsin," DNR Chief Warden Randy Stark said in Madison. "Obviously, we are looking to get any public assistance we can in identifying who is responsible for this."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 01:16 PM
ronn

senseless is only the start of the words i can think of to describe this act.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:38 PM
B&C 140 Class

I see someone else uses my term. In this case yahoos does not quit cover it. Low Life pieces of crap does. They will catch them and when they do I can't wait to see them squeeling in the pokie. Ofcoarse with a big buck of a guy named Bubba.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:51 PM
B&C 100 Class

this is why guys and gals like us have to fight for our right to hunt and use the wildlife around respectfully bescause these jackholes wanna be stupid let me find one around my deer trails its on like donkey kong. thats awfull
Jesus Said "come with me and i will make you fishers of men" matt 4:19
Old 01-14-2009, 03:29 PM
B&C 120 Class

maybe there should be a season for snowmobilers in that state!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:58 PM

pretty nasty stuff there. Makes you wonder whats in peoples minds when doing something like this. Hope they get caught and I hope they don't pretend to be hunters!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:25 PM
B&C 160 Class

Thats just sick... what more can you say
Old 01-19-2009, 03:19 PM
B&C 180 Class

twisted people in the world
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 01-20-2009, 06:42 PM
B&C 100 Class

That really gives the "Outdoorsman" a bad name. I hope those idiots get caught and justice is done.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Scrub Buck

ya i live in Wisconsin and this story is all over the place they cought the guys about a week ago so justice will be served. Stuff like that really gives hunters and snowmobilers a bad name.