Deer Hunting Forums banner

Firewood cutting day?

6K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  delbert 
#1 ·
My lazy rear has allowed my wood stack to drop to a whopping 3 logs.. So therefore today is firewood cutting day.. Do I have any volunteers to come help??? :biggrin:

I will even feed you lunch..

#4 ·
Here is one of the stacks we got.. It was firewood cutting heaven where we were at.. They had just logged it a few months back and there was a whole lot of oak and hickory laying around.. We waited on ya buckshot.. Guess you got turned around somewhere. And no kibbles and bits for you hm.. We had gas station food.. yummy

#6 ·
yeah yeah.. a good drive just to work for lunch money.. plus you woulda been 3 days late..

I was expecting someone to respond with something like.. "I would but I got to clean my toilet seat."

Its definitly work cutting firewood.. Everytime I cut some or split some I think about how it was back in the older days when that was the only source of heat they had. And everybody was cutting wood for the whole winter.. Those were some tough birds.. The generation im in is one of the laziest most pampered.. I dont have to cut wood to survive I just enjoy doing it.. Plus my heat bill is alot less than most folks.. Most people I work with think I live back in the 50s still just because I talk about cutting firewood.. Then I get to laugh when they complain about a $350 a month electric bill..

G
#7 ·
did the wood thing my whole life as a kid and swore I would never repeat never heat with wood. I'll work whatever extra hrs I need to use oil. 350???? want to swap? My oil contract for this winter totaled out at 6000. thats was when oil was high thankfully they oil co is only charging me a few cents over their cost now that the prices went down. oh and the temps are suppose to top out like 3 for highs for the next few days with lows around -30 then add the wind. no wonder we have a high winter kill on the deer pop. cut wood, splitwood, stack wood, hump wood, clean up wood, clean smoke from everything and start over again no thanks.

#8 ·
When I was little I used to try helping my old man cut, split, and stack wood for us but I'd just get in the way. Now I help out some elders in the area with the wood supply when they need it. I love splitting wood. It gives great upper body strength and and builds stamina.

#9 ·
The wife and I heated with wood for years with a wood stove. I still cut and split a lot of fire wood but now it's just for campfires either here at the house or at camp. I probably have about two cords laid in for next summer already. It's work but I do enjoy a good campfire.

#10 ·
I just brought back un-treated railroad tie ends from PA, all oak and green. They charged me 30 dollars for a 6x10 trailer stacked two deep. These will split pretty well. I like to burn a few fires when the temps get low, like right now. I also have cut/split my share of firewood over the years.

#16 ·
i thought rail ties were soaked in creasote?

#17 ·
joel these are the non-treated cutoff ends of the ties prior to treating them. The good part is they are square, but vary in length. I had to saw many of them to fit my fireplace insert. Once they are air dried they will burn nicely. Just got to get out and split them.

#18 ·
gotcha,was gonna say.....

G
#19 ·
hm thats cheatin. you suppose to have saw dust and bark bits and gas and oil, don't forget the exhuast smell all over the place. to be PC, a wood stove is a butt magnet. there's enough butts in my house don't need a magnet. grin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.