Registering a gun - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:21 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Registering a gun

I have a old Ruger 22 caliber hand gun that was my grandpas. He passed before I was born and my grandma gave me the gun. How do I go about reistering this gun or do I even need to. I rarely use it but would like to go to the range and do some plinking some day. How much trouble would I find if I got pulled over by a cop with a unregisterd gun. Should I get this taken care of before Obama takes office?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2009, 08:45 PM
ronn

there is no gun registration. you need to check with your state for laws about transporting a pistol. some states require them to be lock in a case or out of reach. all sorts of different things. every state is different. get a conceal carry permit, even for nothing else just to have.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:14 AM
B&C 100 Class

i agree C&C permit to make life easier its hard for anyone to give you a hard time if you go farther than they think you will. to my knowledge there is no gun registration law
Old 01-10-2009, 11:05 AM

NYS laws are brutal in regards to handguns. You have to have any handgun registered and be licensed accordingly. So if anybody was caught in possession of an unregistered handgun and was not licensed then they are looking at a felony charge. Also, any handgun that you possess must be stamped on the back of your permit. So you couldn't be walking around with someone elses iron or you'll get in trouble. And in order to purchase a handgun you need to pay ahead and the receive a coupon/voucher to take to the county to get the info transferred to your permit even before you get possession of said handgun. That's just the beginning of the wonderful statutes of NYS. But do check with your state laws so you wont get in any trouble.

Last edited by timberghost; 01-10-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:06 PM
B&C 180 Class

go to the NRA website and click on gun info then click on your state it will have all the most up to date info .you may also want to become a NRA member while your at it
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 01-13-2009, 06:31 PM
B&C 100 Class

Sorry guys, I know we don't have to register our guns. What I meant was I want to put this gun in my name (as owner) and out of my grandfathers name if it even is in not sure. Not sure how to go about it. I checked out the NRA website, could not find my answer. Also I have been a NRA member for 3 years.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:25 PM
ronn

cause that would be registering a gun. if its yours its yours. doesn't mater if you got it as a gift, bought it, made it, or grew it in your garden, as long as you aren't a convicted felon its yours.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 PM
B&C 180 Class

sorry they didnt have what you needed.contact the local police station i guess.thanks for being a member
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky