Deer Hunting Forums banner

what is toooo cold?

6K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  onehorse 
#1 ·
ok today is the LAST day for shotgun here in ohio... i really wanted to go out but the weather today with wind is gona be insainly cold... with the wind its going to get down to -17* and i just dont think im man enought to take on that kind of cold its crazy...

so what do u think is too cold for u?

#5 ·
well im a person that is cold really easy because i have really low iron in my blood so this isnt an issue for alot of people but for me it is a very serious issue.. i do have a heater in my blind but even at that the wind is gona cut through it easily because its high winds out... but i need to decide now if im going out or not

#8 ·
correction i just let the dogs outside to go potty and the wind hit me and scratch that idea no way im leaving my warm cozzy bed today is if someone pries me out of it with a 4 foot cheater bar!

#9 ·
all depends on how much the wife is complaining. :crazy: I have cloths to help stay warm. if its a windy day I will set in the ground blind at the bottom of a ridge or atleast over half way down it. most of the time that elimanates most to all the wind. as far as temp I dont know the coldest I've been hunting in but here in Kentucky temp in the teens is about the lowest it gets and thats at night. the only times I can say I've flat out been cold I got wet. snow melting, rain or what ever but I was wet might have just been my hands or my butt from seat pad in stand, but wet to me is misarable.

#10 ·
With the temps that low and wind that high just stay in and be warm. Your face will get wind burned like crazy even if all body parts are covered well your face is usually opened up the most whether you are on stand or stalking. Play it safe and keep the 4ft cheater bar well at bay.

#11 ·
It is too cold when the fun is gone. I hunt very hard in some really bad conditions but if I get miserable and unhappy I'm outta there. I hunt because I love to hunt not because my life depends on it. Have had times when just had to go only to say the heck with it 2 hours later. Was fun for 1.5 hours but the last 1/2 hour was just too much. -17 Deg.--------I'll pass.:crazy:

#12 ·
Gun hhhhhhhhhunting, I'd go out. Bowhunting well I've hunted in -10* not including the wind chill, several years . Once you have to start doing the isometric exercises to go get warm its time to go. Its been so cold you can't pull your bow back. So why be out there?:crybaby:

#13 ·
When I was younger the temps were never an issue, I'd hunt no matter how cold or hot it was, Now I would rather leave and wait for a break in the weather before heading back out again But I still struggle trying to leave the woods even though I know it's best to leave I still struggle in my mind to throw in the towel Especially if it's snowing.
I usually allow it to get to ZERO before giving up.

In this Pic during our ML'er season it was
2 ˚ F, 25 mph winds and blizzard like snow

Think I should have left?

#15 ·
looks like snow is piling up in your ear. Even if the wind was not blowing you probably could not hear a thing.lol
i live in the northeast corner of ny and do we have some snow on the ground on top of what was there from the last storm on friday.they are calling for 10-15in.we have around 10in from this storm so far.after all said and done (if) we get the snow they are calling for we will have over 2 ft of snow from the 2 storms.at least it isn't really cold as its been!!we had -16 at 9:00pm yesterday.

#19 ·
The question is not how much cold you can take but how much wind your type of hunting can take. This depends on whether you are bow, shotgun, handgun or rifle hunting. You really need to be aware of wind drift. If you have gusty winds, I think it is best not to hunt - even if you can take the temps. You deserve it to the animal to hunt under conditions which you can consistantly hit the vitals.

#20 ·
Age has a lot to do with it. Seems like once the magic 50 comes around that cold seems a lot colder and I can't take it as well, even with the newer clothing materials. However, in my 20's,30's,40's you could not keep me from hunting no matter what! Weather didn't matter. Sometimes for duck and goose hunting the worse you get the better the hunting. Late season muzzleloading can give you some pretty cold stuff in the midwest, and if your traveling you don't stay in the motel, camp, you hunt. In the UP of Michigan you might have to deal with 4' of snow and really cold temps. At some point deer have to feed, whether you are in your stand or home thats your choise.

#21 ·
Hunting man, don't say that...... I turned 50 last wednesday. It seems to me when I started hunting back in the early 80's I froze all the time. I think that was due to not knowing (or having) how to layer my clothes. I didn't have the kind of winter gear I have now, especially boots. I still don't have the high dollar stuff you can buy but I use alot of fleece and military camo and long underwear. I usually don't get cold regardless of the temps, it's the wind that gets me. I can take "0" temps and be quite comfy but if the wind blows I get cold. I also have a job that keeps me in and out in the weather so I think that helps. I'm used to it. I've never been a fan of hot weather and it would suit me if it was 45 - 50 degrees year round. I agree with WMI that when it's no fun anymore it's time to go home.

#22 ·
Wind has a lot to do with it, but when it starts getting down to zero or below, I start thinking about staying home. I cancelled my last two days of elk hunting because the forecast (which turned out to be correct) called for temps of -15 and -22 (without wind chill)!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.