what is toooo cold? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:48 AM
B&C 140 Class

It is too cold when the fun is gone. I hunt very hard in some really bad conditions but if I get miserable and unhappy I'm outta there. I hunt because I love to hunt not because my life depends on it. Have had times when just had to go only to say the heck with it 2 hours later. Was fun for 1.5 hours but the last 1/2 hour was just too much. -17 Deg.--------I'll pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 10:42 AM

Gun hhhhhhhhhunting, I'd go out. Bowhunting well I've hunted in -10* not including the wind chill, several years . Once you have to start doing the isometric exercises to go get warm its time to go. Its been so cold you can't pull your bow back. So why be out there?
Old 12-21-2008, 01:08 PM

When I was younger the temps were never an issue, I'd hunt no matter how cold or hot it was, Now I would rather leave and wait for a break in the weather before heading back out again But I still struggle trying to leave the woods even though I know it's best to leave I still struggle in my mind to throw in the towel Especially if it's snowing.
I usually allow it to get to ZERO before giving up.

In this Pic during our ML'er season it was
2 ˚ F, 25 mph winds and blizzard like snow

Think I should have left?

Old 12-21-2008, 05:29 PM
B&C 140 Class

Looks like snow is piling up in your ear. Even if the wind was not blowing you probably could not hear a thing.LOL
Old 12-21-2008, 05:38 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmi View Post
looks like snow is piling up in your ear. Even if the wind was not blowing you probably could not hear a thing.lol
i live in the northeast corner of ny and do we have some snow on the ground on top of what was there from the last storm on friday.they are calling for 10-15in.we have around 10in from this storm so far.after all said and done (if) we get the snow they are calling for we will have over 2 ft of snow from the 2 storms.at least it isn't really cold as its been!!we had -16 at 9:00pm yesterday.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:32 PM
B&C 100 Class

Last two days here its been -1 to -8 degrees out with 30 mph winds. 20 to 30 below with wind chill =\ not tha coldest but it was coldddddddddd. We seen alot of nice bucks in the cold weather tho, so it was worth it my uncle killed a nice one.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:05 PM
B&C 120 Class

It is going to be 14 and feel like 0 that is extremely cold for Tenessee I haven't been huntin in 3 weeks, Im dying to go it will probably be the coldest I have ever hunted in. the bucks shoul be on the move
Old 12-21-2008, 08:47 PM

-3* right now and with 20 mph winds its cold. Western basin of lake Erie is frozen.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:43 PM
B&C 100 Class

The question is not how much cold you can take but how much wind your type of hunting can take. This depends on whether you are bow, shotgun, handgun or rifle hunting. You really need to be aware of wind drift. If you have gusty winds, I think it is best not to hunt - even if you can take the temps. You deserve it to the animal to hunt under conditions which you can consistantly hit the vitals.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:28 AM

Age has a lot to do with it. Seems like once the magic 50 comes around that cold seems a lot colder and I can't take it as well, even with the newer clothing materials. However, in my 20's,30's,40's you could not keep me from hunting no matter what! Weather didn't matter. Sometimes for duck and goose hunting the worse you get the better the hunting. Late season muzzleloading can give you some pretty cold stuff in the midwest, and if your traveling you don't stay in the motel, camp, you hunt. In the UP of Michigan you might have to deal with 4' of snow and really cold temps. At some point deer have to feed, whether you are in your stand or home thats your choise.