Deer Hunting Forums banner

Bun in the oven

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  waggle 
#1 ·
We are expecting our second child in June and I am already starting to get nervous. We have a beautiful, bright, very talkative 3 year old girl that keeps us both pretty busy right now. Adding another will be a challenge I think because of our work schedules. I work 2nd shift and my lovely wife works a normal 8-5 job. So I take care of our daughter in the morning, drop her off to grandmas after lunch and my wife picks her up after work. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE spending time with my LITTLE GIRL and wife, but, the only time I can get out to hunt is now on the weekends. It's tough you know. My wife haits my hobbies (hunting deer and turkey's and ice fishing) I am trying to be a responsible husband and father so I try to take time off work to do my hobbies and only go hunting once over the weekend if we don't have any family events planned. And, when I get home from hunting the first priority is for me to play with my daughter. She is so much a daddie's girl. Does anyone think this is to much to ask for and how do you other fathers deal with time management.

#2 ·
my brother and his wife are in the same boat.be happy you have grandma to send her to.As for going hunting etc i got no advice there.You made your bed so now ya got to lie in it.so to speak.the kids will grow up and you can take them with you.as for now you may have to make some sacrifices.

#5 ·
Congrats! Number two is big, it's easier to say y'all go play in your room. :yes:
As a father of four I can tell you there will be a time to hunt, it may just be a while. After dance, music, and ball practice. :biggrin:

#6 ·
definetly make the sacrifice while the kids are little. put up with it hunt and fish when you can and enjoy them while they are small. They grow way to fast I have one ready to start hunting already and it seems like yesterday since she was born. Good Luck and congrats on the new child.

G
#7 ·
congrats. i've been running the woods from the time i could yell. started going hunting with my dad when i was 5. carried a gun at 9. so all my life i've been a hunter and my wife knew this going in. i dragged my kids out there when they were little and they loved turkey scouting. my daughter isn't a hunter but the boy is a shooting fool when his school work is good enough to let him go. point being involve the kids. 3 is not to young to look for tracks on a scouting trip in the summer, early fall and spring. bring a bag for all the treasures she finds cause there will be lots of them. i know guys that do the papoose thing with even younger kids. heck its better than the tv or video games. its not necessarily the amount of time you spend with them its the quality. just my thought

#9 ·
Having worked swing shifts all my life it was hard finding that compromise between my fishing and hunting and sharing family time. At the time the wife fished and tried hunting but didn't really like the kill part. Daughter wasn't into the outdoor thing but son started going on hunting trips and fishing trips pretty early. Looking back there's a part that says I should have tried better to equalize the time and probably should have. Time with kids seems to pass so quickly and soon their all grown up and on their own. Just my opinion, savor the precious time with family as much as you can, make the effort to equalize time.:wink:

G
#10 ·
you're right hm. i guess i was lucky in that the kids liked going out there. i got a feeling no mater how much a guy sacrifices, in hindsight he feels like its not enough. just got to look at the end result to see you did fine. especially considering to is no manual.

#13 ·
For me...I got it pretty good. Im a fireman so im on 24 off 48. My second job is mowing so im off in the winter. My wife is a teacher, my boy is 5 so he goes to school with her, my girl (2) goes to the sitter so most of my hunting is done in the mornings...Home with the family in the evenings. If I go on the weekends i try and be back early and keep everyone happy. I also got a good wife that always helps!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.