Thanksgiving - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:42 AM

Default Thanksgiving

I hope you all will celebrate this Thanksgiving with family and friends. This year may be one in which we reflect back over this past year and truly access where we are and what really matters in life, For my family, Thanksgiving is a tradition gathering for the whole family. This year I'm fixin a regular standard 22#turkey, a 13# amish smoked turkey and a 8# amish smoked ham. Takes an hour to prepare the dressing, I have the bread crums airing out now. Sister will do all the little things, truth be known she can't cook. Holidays in our family are tough due to the losses we have incured, but we still do it. I sincerely hope everyone enjoys this Thanksgiving with friends and family One trick I use to make a juicy turkey is to cut off the heavy chunks of fat and pin them on the top, olive oil and butter then is brushed over the turkey followed with allthe seasonings. Juice flows out on each slice. Happy Holidays to all from HM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 02:09 AM
B&C 100 Class

Thanksgiving is kind of a somber time at our house too. We have had a traditional meal with what's left of my Mom's side of the family for the last 5 years and of the last 2 years. I have tried very hard and expensively to migrate some of my wife's family down to Southern Arkansas for the week. I have to make bribes for fishing trips and out of state hunting license fees but it gives my side of the family someone new to enjoy so time is not spent on thinking of the ones no longer with us. But on a happier note, I never thought of pinning the fat to the top for the juices to run through but it makes perfect sense to me, Thanks alot. I'll get off early Thursday morning (Midnight instead of 4:30 a.m.) and get everything cooking and then head to the woods for a couple of hours in hopes that all the know it alls don't burn nothing while I'm gone. I wish each and every one of you a Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving! With all the war,financial trouble, bailouts, price gouging, and such, it is not real clear what we really have to be thankful for, but if you reading this you still have internet so you obviously ain't broke enough to pawn the computer yet.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:20 AM
B&C 180 Class

i try to sneak out for a little hunt if i can otherwise me and the wife have a small feast and watch football.the family gathering is so hectic that i steer clear of it.everyone winds up drinking way to much and well .....i'd rather have peace at home.love that fat idea and im definitely gonna try that.didnt get a fall turkey so its the store this year ,boy those people get so freaked out when i go shopping in full camo and toting the 12 guage
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-25-2008, 06:43 AM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:47 AM
ronn

its tradition to be out in the woods on t-day till late morning anyway. got the one on the wall that way. i was late for turkey but it is a trade i'll make any day. everyone enjoy.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:15 AM

Thanksgiving is a cool day at our house, or should I say my parents. I got 2 brothers that are married also and we all take our wives and younguns over there for supper.. Its not to crowded that way. (with a million cousins and aunts and all that) I usually hunt the morning unless Im smoking a ham. This year my brother hasnt seen our new place yet so I may give him the tour.

Even in all this mess our nation is in I still have alot to be thankful for. Great wife and kids, still got a job, (for now) and plenty of food on the table and yes internet too AW. That cracked me up when I read that.

I did lose 2 grandparents this year but I have peace with where they are residing now and the fact that one day I will see them again. (I just wish I could sit on the front porch swing with my grandpa and spit baccer juice one more time though. And listen to those navy war stories.)
Old 11-25-2008, 07:37 PM
B&C 140 Class

Hope all you guys have a really great Thanksgiving. Say what you want, but we still are living in a wonderful country with much for which we can be grateful. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
Old 11-25-2008, 08:08 PM
B&C 100 Class

I have had the priviledge of being sent to other countries and been to a few by choice. There is no doubt in my mind that we live in the "Greatest Nation Under God." In my post above I did not mean to send the message that with the turmoil of country financial markets and such, I had nothing to be thankful for, nor did it mean any disrespect for the U.S.A. in any condition it may ever be in. I myself am a Proud Disabled Veteran with alot to be thankful for. I just hope that the change on the horizon does not come as what is left of my paycheck. Thank you for your weeks work and heres your change!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 02:26 AM
B&C 100 Class

"Whitetail it's more than a passion, it's an addiction"

~~~~

Bowhunter and Handgun Hunter
Old 11-26-2008, 03:54 AM
B&C 100 Class

To all; Have a safe and enjoyable day. Love the pic Whitetail. Gave me my morning laugh. Which is always a great way to start the day....