Please be careful!!! - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:29 PM

Default Please be careful!!!

Deer Hunter Killed In Cattaraugus County

Story Published: Nov 18, 2008 at 7:22 PM EST
Story Updated: Nov 18, 2008 at 7:23 PM EST

By Jennifer Stanonis

Watch the story

Regular deer hunting season recently started and in the Town of Humphrey a deer hunter was shot and killed. 23 year old Derrick Lockwood died Sunday morning in Olean General Hospital after he was shot with a rifle while hunting earlier that morning. He and three others were hunting deer near Bloy Road in the Town of Humphrey when he was shot by a fellow hunter in his group. The State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) is investigating what happened and whether it was Lockwood's brother who accidentally shot him during a deer drive, which is a hunting strategy where a hunting party splits up and one group walks through the woods to drive deer toward another group that is waiting.

The 23 year old lived in the Town of Humphrey and graduated from Franklinville High School in 2004. One of his former teachers says he was a likable person and really cared about his family.

The DEC reminds hunters to use caution while hunting, and to follow these important firearm safety tips to help prevent hunter-related shooting incidents: keep your gun pointed in a safe direction, treat every gun as if it were loaded, be sure of your target and beyond, keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot, and remember to wear Hunter Orange. And when conducting a deer drive, it is extremely important to know exactly where all members of the hunting party are, and to establish safe shooting lanes prior to the drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2008, 09:33 PM

I wish things like this would not ever happen but they do and I hope you all be extra careful and be aware of the other guy/girl.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:36 PM

I was having a good night till I read that. Not good. I cannot understand how people get shot. I know deer drives are common in many areas but in many cases you may be shooting in the direction of the sitters. There is NOTHING worse than loosing family members. I hope all reading the above post takes a moment to think about your hunting practices and how really safe they may be. My thoughts and prayers go to that family.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:21 PM
B&C 180 Class

really sucks between that little baby getting shot and now this people are gonna get the wrong idea/image of hunters.Never liked drives ,always thought they were an accident waiting to happen
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-20-2008, 07:11 AM
B&C 140 Class

I feel the same way Joel. Gosh I hate hearing about such things. I feel so sorry for his family and friends.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:03 AM

This is tough post... Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends..

I hate it for the ones involved. Ya'll be safe.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:36 AM
B&C 100 Class

All the knowledge and practice in the World can never outweigh the SAFETY of hunting. May his family and friends find peace especially if it was his Brother that fired the fatal shot. Not that I'm against drives in certain parts of the U.S. but please think of the safest way for it to be done before sending your friends and family into a situation that could very easily end like this one. I'm a Safety Professional in the explosives industry and you just have to stop and see the big picture.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:27 PM
B&C 100 Class

to our fallen brother of the woods... may peace be with you.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:40 PM
B&C 100 Class

Drives dont make any sense. They break some of the basic firearm safety rules being "keep your weapon pointed in a safe direction" and "be certain of your target and whats beyond it."
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill
Old 11-25-2008, 04:40 PM
B&C 140 Class

I agree. It can be done safely but seldom is I think. These accidents are so sad. They don't happen often thank goodness but are truly terrible when they do.