Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Campfire (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/)
-   -   Im sure it was just an accident, but.... (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/2672-im-sure-just-accident-but.html)

Annie Oakley 10-23-2008 05:21 AM

Im sure it was just an accident, but....

:surprised: Well a Pa. man, shot a Vermont hunter yesterday in the NEK. Apparently the Pa man thought he was a bear. Now this is where I get unnerved... If you can't SEE your shot....DON'T TAKE IT. Never mind, today we have binoculars, scopes, glasses, and he WASN'T A BEAR. And if the report is correct the Vt man was hunting his own land, for moose.

Now the state wants to have a mandatory hunters course every 5 years.
My thought are; stupid, trigger happy, who will now learn a VERY EXPENSIVE LESSON....

DON'T PULL THAT TRIGGER UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR SHOOTING AT!!!

East Texas Droptine 10-23-2008 05:34 AM

You know I hear storys like this, for example, last year a young boy's own father shot him because he was mistaken for a turkey! it is pretty hard to belive that a person can be mistaken for a turkey...O yea, Can you shoot a bear like you would a coyote (without a tag) I know in some areas you have to have a tag and this fella was hunting for moose and he felt the need to shoot a bear

buckfever 10-23-2008 06:09 AM

:no: Sad. Your right on Annie. KNOW WHAT YOUR SHOOTING!!!

Buckshot 10-23-2008 08:07 AM

This guy needs to go to jail. There is no excuse.

Gator 10-23-2008 09:19 AM

Thats why I try to stay on private land,its not a sure thing for total safety but its better than public land.Public land scares the BAJEEPERS out of me:shocking: One year I bow hunted a state park here in Ohio most of you Ohio folks know it (Salt Fork) lots of deer,my buddies and I decided to rent a cabin for gun season,big mistake,got in the woods early the first morning daylight broke and it looked like I was in the middle of a firing squad,I debated on whether or not I needed to belly crawl out of there,havn't been back to hunt since.

Gator 10-23-2008 09:28 AM

I was talking with one of my gun dealers the other day and he commented on how many non hunters rush in to his store just before deer season to buy a gun,because someone invited them to hunt.I know every hunter has to start sometime but personaly I dont think two days before deer season is it:crazy:

BruceBruce1959 10-23-2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie Oakley (Post 19682)
:surprised: Well a Pa. man, shot a Vermont hunter yesterday in the NEK. Apparently the Pa man thought he was a bear. Now this is where I get unnerved... If you can't SEE your shot....DON'T TAKE IT. Never mind, today we have binoculars, scopes, glasses, and he WASN'T A BEAR. And if the report is correct the Vt man was hunting his own land, for moose.

Now the state wants to have a mandatory hunters course every 5 years.
My thought are; stupid, trigger happy, who will now learn a VERY EXPENSIVE LESSON....

DON'T PULL THAT TRIGGER UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR SHOOTING AT!!!

The State doesn't want to have a mandatory "Refresher Hunter Safety course" ewvery 5 years, that's what was suggested by an 8th grader, The state doesn't agree with the idea at all claiming it's hard enough to get enough teachers to cover the current demand for hunter ed. courses Not to mention It wasn't even a Vermont hunter who shot the man, so how would refresher courses help? Out of staters aren't even required to take the Vermont course they only have to produce a license from another state or the other states "Certificate of completion of a hunter education class"
I will never understand how another hunter can be shot because he was mistaken for something other than a "HUNTER" I hope the shooter gets the stiffest punishment allowed by law.

ETD, The Vermont bear season runs during some of the States other hunting seasons. So it isn't odd for someone to shoot a bear while hunting for something else. Except during Archery season a hunter Cannot carry a firearm while hunting with a Bow and Arrow.
All vermont hunters get a buck tag and a bear tag when they purchase their licenses

delbert 10-23-2008 07:01 PM

i never hunted any were but the family farm...that rifle hunting would get me laying low

Hunting Man 10-23-2008 07:15 PM

Hey Gator, two of us crawled on our hands and knees out of Saltfork during the early muzzleloading season one year. My first thoughts were I came close to what some of the civil war fighting may have been like. We had lead flying over our heads close enough to hear them hit trees. We simply left and went home a 4 hour drive for nothing. state game lands can be very dangerous to hunt in. You have to know the lay of the land for personal protection as well as deer movements.

Annie Oakley 10-24-2008 07:02 AM

I'm sure you heard my compaints, about the jacking that takes place, and what I go through here every year. Just heard they caught 11 in the NEK yesterday, now if they would only go NE a little. I do know they set up a decoy last year for a while. But the BS, has already started. This whole ridge is posted, yet they keep coming, especially after sundown, I have two holes in my house, and the neighbors I do have, hold me responsible, for not doing enough to stop them. Can't win for loosing. And we're not talking strangers, local yocals, who deem it there right.

For all you RESPECTFUL hunters out there, BE CAREFULL, and should you see posted land out there, KNOCK on the door, and ask permission.