any advice? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Scrub Buck

Default any advice?

First timer. I hunt a farm that myself and buddy of mine bought a few years ago. It has had big deer killed prior to our purchase, but the previous owner didn't shoot any does and bow hunted mainly in dec and jan. We know there is a large deer herd, but they have been extremely hard to pattern. There is very little pressure surrounding the farm. There is agriculture in close proximity, including 50 acres of soybeans on our farm. I checked one deer cam today and of thirty pics not one pic was daytime. There has been no pressure. Throughout the summer any evening there were multiple does feeding before dark in our beans, But beyond 1 1/2 Bucks and multiple does seen the last couple of seasons, very few mature bucks have been seen. We know they are there, but is the strong food supply, great cover, and out of wack doe to buck population keep our deer from movin much during the daylight hours. It is almost like the big boys don't have to move much. Give me some Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 06:11 AM
B&C 140 Class

I would think that the hard to pattern deer are just staying in the woods because they don't have to come out to feed...when the rut really picks up then I would look to see more deer coming out, and when all their forage is gone, probably in Dec. and Jan. (maybe that is why the previous owner only hunted then) they will almost have to come out...
Old 10-09-2008, 06:19 AM

I agree with EastTexasDroptine

Old 10-09-2008, 06:31 AM

Welcome duckman, maybe you could setup further into the woods away from the food source to possibly have a chance at them as they start to move toward the food source hopefully when it is still light out. Just a thought.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:01 PM
B&C 160 Class

the elusive whitetale....you got 50 ac of beens ..do you have anything else to draw them out this time of year?? it is still warm in arkansas but the mornings have been bringing does out on the plots ..oats ,peas ,standing corn, milo,, havent seen a buck during daylight hours ...but they will come..i can wait
Old 10-18-2008, 12:46 PM
B&C 100 Class

I say that you don't have much to worry about. Unless you have had a lot of hard frosts, there is still a ton of natural vegetation for the deer to eat without moving too far from their bedding area. Also, acorns are the favored food by deer so if your area is sporting a heavy acorn crop, then the deer in the fields will be sparse. Once most of the leaves fall, they will cover up the acorns and the nuts will start to rot forcing the deer back to other food sources. By this time, most of the other vegetation will have become scarce too. This means deer will head to the fields.

As for what to plant, I plant white clover mixed with wheat for 60% of our fields. I personally believe that clover is one of the best foods year round for whitetail. We often see button bucks jump to nice 6pts or even in a few causes nice 8pts in one year. Also, it is fairly easy to maintain. The other 40% is corn that is planted in about a 15-20 ft strip about 15-20 ft from the edge of the field. This helps the deer feel covered (because they aren't, in their minds, coming out into a large open field) and can make then come out earlier in the evening.

Putting in a pond is also a good move because you are making a natural water source as well.

As for stand placement, I would put several around the edges of the field, and on any point of timber that juts out into the field. Also, I would suggest hunting between your field and other points of food/bedding.

If you believe that the doe population is a bit too high, I would make sure to have you and your buddy take out 3-4 each early this year or even late season.

If you do have a lot of does, I would bet that the rut is going to be amazing on your property!

Hope this helps and good luck!