Playing the wind?????? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:05 AM
B&C 160 Class

Ditto what flexi said. I try to have serveral options as to where I will set up for each area and let the prevailing wind dictate which one. Like wmi said I will go out of my way to not let scent drift into what I believe is a core area of a buck I am hunting.

With that said, some times there is just no choice bust to bust on through like Bruce said, if you jump deer it's not the end of the world. I have busted deer out from under my tree going in just to have deer(maybe the same deer) come back under me 15 minutes after get in the tree.

I said it before and I'll say it again I believe the most important thing about scent is to not leave it on the ground, grass or limbs you contact as you walk in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2008, 05:56 AM
B&C 100 Class

Go simplicity, think you are way overthinking it. Dress appropriate, step in grease or molasses, and they'll come to you.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:53 AM
B&C 100 Class

On the farm/woods I hunt, I have several stands all around different parts of the fields/ridges. There are about 2 main ways to enter the property as well. The wind always determines which stand I will climb in. If the field/ridge can't be hunted with a perfect wind (and there is evidence of a big buck) I will just not hunt the area. I'd rather wait for the perfect wind than to go in and leave my scent or make noise and scare the deer to another route pattern.

I use scent eliminating products, but risking going in and out of a hunting area to hunt without a good wind is just ignorant to me. You never know what may be bedded down right where the bad wind is blowing. Plus spooking deer going in and out to hunt without favorable conditions can cause the deer to stay bedded longer. This means that even the does and small yearlings move later or more cautiously....and the big bucks notice that.

At the same time, if you are hunting in the peak of the rut, you never know where the deer may be coming from so a bad wind can actually be a good one. Deer often stray from trails (especially if there is a lot of doe estrus/deer smell/deer noise in the area).