Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Campfire (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/)
-   -   electronic gadgets (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/2048-electronic-gadgets.html)

ronn 07-13-2008 01:27 PM

electronic gadgets

One Horse, which from what I can gather is untrue. He has more than one. grin. Anyway, brought up the SPOT thing which sounds cool and the GPS, also cool, but does anyone use TOPO USA from Delorme? Its a computer program that is a geographical 3D map of the whole US. Plus you can get sat images, aerial photos, and USGS maps of any where in the US. It will also communicate with your GPS to plot your trips. I just use the maps and photos. pretty handy anyway.

onehorse 07-13-2008 10:30 PM

OK, Ron, you figured it out - we do have more than one horse. Three, actually, but even though one of them is mine, they all happen to be registered to my wife. So, maybe I should change my name to "NoHorse" or "Wife'sHorse".
Back to your question, I have mapping software up the wazoo. I have the DeLorme Topo USA, but mine just covers the mountain states, also National Geographic Topo which covers the state of Montana. I also have all the USGS topo maps of Montana.
It's nice being able to do a hike or horse ride using the GPS along the way, and then be able to dowload it into the mapping softare for a record. Also, can work it the other way around, where I map out a route on the computer, then upload it into the GPS. When I get to the trail head, turn on the GPS and follow the track that I entered. Lots of fun, but also can be really useful.

ronn 07-14-2008 06:19 AM

One Horse If i were out in the way back as much as you I'd be using that system. oh some day i'll end up with a GPS to go with the TOPO USA. it looks like a good way to keep track of rub lines, scrapes, and pinch points of trails. wonder what Lewis and Clark would think of the tech?

Southern Man 07-14-2008 07:03 AM

At the St Louis deer classic back in Feb there was booth set up that sold areial maps overlayed with top features. Good looking stuff. At that time they didn't have KY. but were scehduled to get it as they were updating all the arials. Can't remember who they were. Anyone seen or heard of these people? Ron is that topo usa a free service or do you have to buy the software somewhere? How do you find it?

ronn 07-14-2008 07:28 AM

I found it through the National Geographic web site. Delorme is only an hr and a half from me so i drove over and bought the cd. it was $60, I think, for the entire country and they gave me $100 worth of aerial photos. each section is like .50 and you get it as a down load. You can get the whole thing as a download. they had a bluetooth software all ready to go and were working on the GPS unit. I think its all set and on the market now. Delorme is the company that puts out those books you see at all the stores one of each state. They show all the roads and fields, they are red in color. You must have seen them great book for scouting a new area to you, a good start anyway. The reason it costs and isn't free is the very thing OneHorse was talking about with the uploading and downloading from GPS to your computer. You carry your GPS around in the woods marking points like rub areas and trail crossings on your GPS take it home download it to TOPO USA and boom you have a map on a USGS and Aerial photos. neat stuff. I use it to look at likely places to hunt that are new to me and how they relate to known areas.

joel the signman 07-14-2008 09:28 AM

i also use that topo usa program ron.im gonna find a newer gps that i can plug into the program and download my info.I was given a gps 15 yrs ago and i also have a small geko but both dont download direct.its amazing the size ,weight,speed and ease of use has changed over the years.soon i think they are gonna just put a chip in us .hahahahaha:yes:

ronn 07-14-2008 09:35 AM

you are probably right Joel. I wonder where they will put the USB port? Check online with Delorme and check on their GPS, that way it would for sure be able to communicate with your topo usa. Thats the path I'm going to take when I get around to getting a GPS.

BruceBruce1959 07-14-2008 10:10 AM

We touched on the GPS subjects awhile back when I was looking to buy one, I ended up getting the Garmin GPS Map60csx.. it's loaded with features and I may never learn it's full capacity but so far I love it... the mapping ability is second to none plus it has the Micro SD card slot so you can load different maps (like road maps vs. Top maps)

here's the link to that thread

http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forum.../1482-gps.html

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/as...0/en/cf-lg.jpg

joel the signman 07-14-2008 02:13 PM

delorme sent me a card for a new gps but it was 700 $ or something.too pricy for me.i need that money to gas the car to go hunting:thumbdown: