Deer Hunting Forums banner

deer camp

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
In our PA deer camp we have over the years elected to make special hunts by say having everyone use a lever action rifle (no scope) or one year blackpowder only. We might say no tree stands allowed that year. We also charge antler point deductions for two shot deer. Most of the group has at least 15 years at camp and several of us have 30 + years. These things make for a good time and keeps everyone on their toes. Just trying to come up with a new idea is getting hard. How about everyone else, any special deer camp stories?

#3 ·
Well now that you asked: on the food side the guys from N Carolina bring seafood that they caught and then we make a giant pot of seafood soup. This would include scallops, clams, shrimp, fish, oysters, corn. We then put two marinated deer hind quarters on a mesquite coal fire and slow cook all day. Food is always one of the big draws to camp. I like to put on a perch & walleye fish dinner. I have been extreemly lucky to have been a part of the old time deer camp group. Michigan hunters also are into deer camps like I have described. Hunting with friends for so many years has been a major blessing for me. If I had to hunt alone I'm afraid that I would quickly loose interest. We generally have three weeks that we get together: bow season, rifle and flintlock season. We share duties, help drag in the deer, set up stands, and try and outdo each other in stories. In all the years we have only lost one permanet member (my brother) which is unbelieveable in todays times. I will try and post some buck pole photos after Monday when I get the new printer/scanner.

#4 ·
Our camp is being sold but it was fun to go to..the food was always good ,a different meal every night..we had all kinds of stands and at night we'd discuss who was getting what stand.the late nightBS was always fun too.the one thing i dont miss is all the snoring and farting:bag:

#5 ·
Hunting Man Sounds Like You Belong To A Great Hunting Camp.sounds Like You Go To Bed Full !!
Joel Sorry To Here Your Camp Is Being Sold.maybe You Will Find Another One?
I Don't Belong To Anycamps Because I Allready Have My Own Land To Hunt 485 Acers.i Do Hunt With My Future Father In-law But Thats It.its Still Fun Though.

#6 ·
whitetailfever, thats a great chunk of land to hunt privately. I would love to have my own track of land to hunt/fish on. 200-500 acreas would do it. I also hunt in the UP of Michigan with a similar camp set-up. These guys come to PA to bow hunt and I go up there to late season bow hunt.

#7 ·
I could tell a few stories about some of the camps I have been a part of. Deer camps have changed a little over the years. Back in the old days deer were only back in the most remote areas of the state. We would leave for camp after work on Friday, drive 2-3 hours on the paved road then 4X4 for another 1-2 hours then have to set up tent camp. We would hit the bed after midnight and then be up at 4:00 to hike back on the mountain to hunt.

The weather always seemed miserable, Rain gear was army surplus poncho, warm gear was long johns and flannel and green army surplus jacket, scent control was..... well there wasn't any.

It could be the 100 year drought all year and I could guarantee it would be a frog choking, gully washing, monsoon down pour on opening weekend.

Now days I could hunt off my back porch, which the wife ask why I don't, why do I have to pay the club fees I pay and travel so far away to hunt when I could walk out the back door? She doesn't understand it's just not the same to me.

Why that is would probably make another thread but that's the way it is. Where I used to have a whole bunch of buddies that would hunt they are few and far between now. I am a member of a club that allows permanent camp sites which is very nice. There's a good group of guys that still love the deer camp. I can always count on good fire and lots of lies being told. :)

Life is good.

#9 · (Edited)
The very best thing about deer camp is it evolved into a lifetime of friendship that is more like family than just hunting buddies. We were there for kids being born, graduations, weddings, a yes lost ones, this is what deer camp brought to me.This is why after 30 some hunting seasons everyone can't wait to get to camp. Old friends that see one another maybe once or twice a year and having a great week of hunting. Only a few of us do the bow/rifle/flintlock every year. With all the fun that we have please understand we do take our hunting very seriously and by opening morning the stakes have been set very high. So this is hunting camp and what it means to me. I hope all the dad's and their dads have a great father's day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.