Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Campfire (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/)
-   -   Horse Wreck (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/1910-horse-wreck.html)

onehorse 05-26-2008 04:14 PM

Horse Wreck

Our big horse got into a wreck while we were working with him today. After we got his packs on him and were leading him, he freaked out (for no apparent reason) and took off running wildly around the ranch. Crashed into a tree, threw one of the packs, and destroyed a new saddle. Luckily, no one was hurt, nor was he.
Just a little over a year ago, he did just about the same thing, but ran through a barbed wire fence, slicing himself up so badly that we couldn't work with him all summer and into the fall. Not to mention the vet bills for patching him up. He's basically a good horse, who had been used in the past to pack into the Bob Marshall and Lee Metcalf Wilderness areas. Some mysterious thing happened to him a little over a year ago, and since then he's been very jumpy.
Well, as we can't take a chance on someone getting seriously hurt, or worse, with him, we've decided to find a good home for him. Of course, we'll tell the potential owners about his problems - he most likely will still be good for riding as we never had any trouble with him whiile riding. We are sad and disappointed, but, at least no one got hurt. Not sure whether we'll be looking for another horse for packing. Might just work on training the other two for that.
So. how's YOUR weekend going?

WHITETAILFEVER 05-26-2008 08:36 PM

SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THAT ONEHORSE HOPE HE'S OK HITTING A TREE WOULDN'T FEEL TO GOOD:surprised:MY WEEKEND WENT VERY GOOD I WAS IN A FISHING DERBY FOR NORTHERN PIKE.CAUGHT ALOT OF PIKE WITH MY BIGGEST AT 7LBS.WE ALSO CAUGHT A 10LB BOWFIN.BEAUTIFULL WEATHER BOAT RAN LIKE SUPERMAN.ALL WENT WELL HAD ALOT OF FUN.

buckfever 05-26-2008 11:03 PM

Yep that stinks. Especially if you and your wife have been around that horse for awhile. They kinda grow on you. I got some bush hoggin done and mowing at the new place I'm buying. A productive day.

onehorse 05-27-2008 09:06 PM

Yea, my wife gets REALLY attached to these animals. She's been crying for two days. It probabaly will be OK once we find a good home for the horse. He still has lots of potential, just can't use him for packing which was the main reason we got him in the first place.

BruceBruce1959 05-28-2008 07:03 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your horse's wreck.
I hope you're able to find him a good loving family soon,
I know the decision to give him up is Gut wrenching.
best wishes to you folks..

timberghost 05-28-2008 10:56 PM

Well onehorse were glad that nobody was hurt and that the good ole' boy is OK. If there's any positive aspect to this it may have been a blessing that he didn't have his "wild episode" while you were out far off into the wilderness where things could've been worse. There's no doubt about your great knowledge of horses and you and your wife are the best at knowing what's best for the horse. I respect your decision 110%. Hopefully your wife will feel better after reading this.

pdstan512 05-29-2008 01:19 PM

im sorry to hear that ill pray for yall and the horse too