Deer Hunting Forums banner

Grandpa on his way out of this place.

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Buckshot 
#1 ·
Well my grandmother passed on earlier this year. After that my grandpa said he probably want be long in joining her on the other side. He is now in the hospice state so we are just praying that he will go peacefully. Like onehorse's mother he has also lived a full life. I have some great memories that I will carry with me the rest of my life. Also some great keepsakes. Back in his early days he made a knife. He said he wanted to put a brand name on it so he came up with "Buck Case XXX". I also remember when I was a little squirt and stayed at his house we would always get him started on talking about the old days. He served on a battleship in WWII and once we got him talking about it we would just sit and listen till real late. He always ate him a bowl of fiber cereal before he went to bed. Which going to bed for him was a simple comment of "Well boys ya'll ready to hit the hay?" Never seen him in nothing but bib overalls. From when he worked on tractors, ran the sawmill or went to church. I remember how his eyes lit up when I told him to give me some chewing tobacco. And from that point on when I was down there we would walk around his place or sit on his front porch and spit baccer juice. I would not trade those memories for anything in the world. Every pair of overalls I have are from him. They are basically brand new. He would not wear them long once he got on up in years before he thought it was time for a new pair. Thanks for listening to me rattle, I just like remembering. He may be gone from us phisically soon but he will forever be here with me.

See less See more
#2 ·
It seems like we are getting hit pretty hard on this site with loved ones passing. Glad to hear that your grandpa had a full life. All those memories will become even more dear to you as the years pass. What a great generation that was! I really don't think we will ever see the likes of them again. Glad you have hospice in place. They were wonderful in caring for my mom and helping us as well during those final days. Hope your grandfather has a peaceful time of it. My prayers are with him, you and your family.

#3 ·
granpas are great i miss mine all the time.hope everyone takes the time to reflect on those that are close to you.Mark i hope he pass quietly and suffers no pain.Ill keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers

#5 · (Edited)
Sadly he misses Grandma and wants to go home to be at her side once again...
As our time fades here it's comforting to know we're all heading to a better place, a place where we will all meet again.
You're Always in our prayers Mark.

#6 ·
Buckfever......I told onehorse in another forum that I have the greatest respect for those of that generation. What a group of Americans! The hardships and changes they have seen in their lifetimes was unbelieveable. Tom Brokov wrote a book about them...The Greatest Generation..... If we can do and endure half of what they did we'll be fortunate. You have my prayers, and sympathy, he has my respect.
Southern Man

#7 ·
Buckfever......I told onehorse in another forum that I have the greatest respect for those of that generation. What a group of Americans! The hardships and changes they have seen in their lifetimes was unbelieveable. Tom Brokov wrote a book about them...The Greatest Generation..... If we can do and endure half of what they did we'll be fortunate. You have my prayers, and sympathy, he has my respect.
Southern Man
I LIKE WHAT IS SAID HERE AND HE ALSO HAS MY RESPECT,PRAYERS,AND SYMPATHY.VERY GOOD SOUTHERN MAN!!!

#12 ·
Sounds like part of him lives on in you. Sure he was proud to leave you his cover-alls. I believe nothing makes passing easier than being able to see the good you left behind. Because of him there is one more person like you in the world. To him I am thankful, we need more good people around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.