important lesson learned - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:09 AM
B&C 180 Class

Default important lesson learned

Well guys, I learned a valuable lesson this morning that I didn't realize I needed to re-learn.
I was out turkey hunting and it was a GREAT morning for it. The toms were sounding off early from the treetops and we had a nice gobblers within 150 yds of us on the roost. Got to see his girlfriend fly down first, within 40 yds of our decoys, then saw him fly down about 5 minutes later within 50 yds of our decoys. When he landed he was just on the other side of the ridge and on his way. He closed the distance to 30-40 yds and right before I was going to shoot, (he was coming right towards our blind) he decided to go to my right. SO, naturally, I repositioned my shotgun and here is where the problem began. When I repositioned my shotgun, I guess I didn't have it seated deep into my shoulder anymore, it was a little high on my shoulder- so, you guessed it, Mr. Scope met Mr. Forehead officially this morning. 8 stitches, a bad headache and a trip to the ER has been my fun morning. Talk about rocking my world. NEVER had a problem with this, NEVER ever done anything like this before. I feel completely dumb that I let something like this happen. Let me be the example for all of you. Seat that firearm GOOD in your shoulder before ever dreaming of firing it.
Doc says I'll get the stitches out in 5 days....
Old 04-29-2014, 01:11 PM

oh boy, not a good morning Tator. I was on hand years ago when a buddy took one the same way while sighting in a rifle in PA. We were able to close up the gash with steri (spell?) strips. Just a question, do you have a long eye relief on the shotgun scope? I'm sure you do. I have read about people installing rifle scopes on shotguns and feel the pain of their mistake afterwards. Good luck on the healing up and get the tom!!!!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:26 PM

Ouch, I hope you heal up and get a chance to get back out there and teach that bird a lesson in Round 2 !!!

Old 04-29-2014, 09:20 PM
B&C 180 Class

Well the gun was actually my buddy's. My 12 gauge is not scoped and I do not plan on scoping it. Like I said, it all happened so fast and man talk about the thump on the head. No bruising or swelling (thank goodness) but now I have to deal with the uncomfortableness of stitches in my forehead. It was mixed emotions. I didn't get the bird and this happened so I was pretty ticked off. Had I got the bird, I may have made up a story about the bird attacking me and barely being able to get off a shot! :) haha
Old 04-29-2014, 10:25 PM
B&C 120 Class

Ouch, man, sorry to hear! Glad that was the limit of your injuries.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:40 PM

Glad your ok buddy...just gotta regroup and go after it again...Tator, the worlds 1st full contact turkey hunter lol