Deer Hunting Forums banner

Enjoy the day

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  joel the signman 
#1 ·
I just wanted to say a few words .My brother belongs to an elite rescue squad in the FDNY.You may have heard about the crane accident that happened.Me i worked with that company many times and sorry to say I knew the man that was in the operators chair.God rest his soul . 3years from retirement he was.My brother was on the pile with his fellow FDNY firefighter brothers when they found the one guy under the rubble.Hand by hand they formed the "bucket "brigade .they dug the guy out he was obviously traumatized when they put an iv in he ripped it out.My brother was there when the guy who they are trying to save says "my girl is behind me "They see nothing but rubble.So they keep digging with bare hands when the order comes down.STOP ALL EFFORTS ,THE PILE IS SHIFTING EVERYONE GET OUT.My brother was heartbroken when he finally called me back.Him and his brothers wanted to keep digging but they were pulled off the job.When i spoke with him ,his normal stoic manner was not there .he was very upset that he and his brothers couldnt continue to try and save that women.Word comes down today the found her ,dead.The guys took it personally even though they were ordered to stop for their own safety.Life is short ,grab the ones around you that mean the most let em know how important they are.Call that friend/family member your PO'd at and end it .Cuz you never know tomorrow might be the last day you walk out the door and you dont come home.

G
#2 ·
I was a FF-EMT-I here in my own small town for years. I know what your bro is thinking about. It ain't easy. I, like most people, don't take the time to say the things at should be said. I do try hard not to be purposly hurtful and to be as honest as I can. We can only do our best while we are here and that has to be good enough. Your best is your best, right?

#6 ·
I was into the law enforcement field for quite awhile before my current occ. and I've seen many bad things happen to innocent people. It is very hard to maintain composure when a situation is so bad that you are pretty much useless (my personal opinion about myself). I'll share this story with you all. I responded to a motor vehicle accident on a wet rainy day in which a young man early twenties lost control of his vehicle went off of the road, down a small hill and hit a tree. His vehicle was a mess and he was also. Well a long story short, the EMS crew took a long time to respond and I was the only and last person to converse with him. All I could do was tell him that everything will be OK and that help is just around the corner and that he'll be in a nice warm room with his loved ones in no time at all. As I tried feverishly to calm him and ease his suffering I said that I will follow the ambulance to the hospital and make sure that he gets the best room with the prettiest nurses. But it felt like an eternity before any help showed up and as I type this I can smell the burning motor oil, hear the rain drops on the roof and smell the blood. Many other things stick in my head to this day and things like that you cannot just forget. There's always trauma counseling for all law enforcement, EMS, and public safety officials after such tragedies but it doesn't erase the memory. As for Mr. Signman and his brother, being in NYC I don't think that anything can compare to what you all have been through with that of 911 by itself. Along with many other everyday traumatic events the FDNY has got to be the most strongest, courageous, and bravest group of people in the world. One could only imagine the things that they see and experience on a daily basis. Joel, if there is a word or words that describe a person as being more than a "hero" please tell your brother that he and the entire FDNY are just that and GOD BLESS THEM!!!!!

#8 ·
thats an amazing story timberghost.and yes 9/11 was real tough i still get upset on the anniversary.One horse he has been awarded medals from the mayor for saving guys off a burning roof.I attended the ceremony at city hall .got to meet the mayor(jerk that he is) and the heads of the Dept.huntingman so sorry to hear about your brother.suicide is tough.you never know what was troubling the person that much to go to such drastic measures

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.