Lower gas prices! - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:46 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Lower gas prices!

I just got an email idea on how we might be able to get gas prices lower. If you'll recall, just about a year ago there was a letter going around suggesting that we all stop buying gas on a certain day. Not a very good or effective idea because what we didn't but that day, we just bought the next day. This idea is different. Basically, we still buy gas that we need, but just don't buy it from the three biggest companires, Exxon, Mobil and Citco. If we can GET them, they will have to lower their prices and, as always, the others would then follow suit. I'm not one for forwarding emails "chain" essages, and usually don't, but this gas thing is getting out of hand. We are paying through the nose and the oil barons are making BILLIONS in profits! Anyway, I've gotten on the bandwagon on this one. If you get the email, give it some thought, it just might work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 07:29 PM
ronn

I want a BP in the neighborhood. they don't use OPEC oil. CITGO is that Venezuela oil. I'm going along with it. can't hurt me, can it.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:09 PM

We had one of those emails floating around at work about a year ago. It made sense to me. So what gas are we going to choose to buy? BP?

On that note I seen oil up to the $109 a barrell mark today.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:17 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfever View Post
We had one of those emails floating around at work about a year ago. It made sense to me. So what gas are we going to choose to buy? BP?

On that note I seen oil up to the $109 a barrell mark today.
\\

The new idea is to go ahead and buy gas, but don't get it from the big three, Mobil, Exxon or Citco. The other companies follow them on pricing, so if they have to lower their prices, the others will follow suit.
We have to try something!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:55 AM

Yes I got the idea. Just making sure BP is not with one of the big 3.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:23 PM

I'm not sure how big BP is but its still a gas producer and charges the same as others. I work right next to a BP refinery here in Toledo. I believe they are British backround, were popular in Canada for a long time prior to coming to the USA. I'll follow along with the idea, but the big picture is less need for foreign oil, less demand for oil period, more nuke plants yes they are safer, kill vertually no workers (like oil refineries)and produce large amounts of electricity. If we reduce our oil comsumption prices for gas will go down! With proper stack scrubbers coal is still a good resourse and there is a lot of it in the USA. Short term needs for oil could be gotten by drilling where there is oil owned by the USA. I'm sure many of you will have an opinion on that! As long as we consume large amounts of foreign oil we aren't in the position to cry too much on what they charge/barrel. We are a spoiled society, now its time to pay the piper for it. Everything that we consume is taking a hike upwards, current and near term expenses are going to hit the pocket book hard. I don't see a presidental candidate that can turn the tide. Right now I feel like...
Old 03-13-2008, 08:04 PM
B&C 160 Class

G.W.Bush tried in his first year in office to get an energy package through congress that would have allowed more domestic drilling and would have built more refineries but the democrats would not allow it. We would be in a very different situation had that gone through.

We have enough oil in Alaska and off the coast of Florida to supply most of our needs and can't get to it. All you hear about is we need to cut this and do without that when all we need to do is drill and refine. When is this country going to wake up to reality.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:31 AM

Well All I can say about the nations fuel supplies is that Chevron / Texaco will probably be the answer to our prayers but as long as Mobil, Exxon, PLC, BP and Anadarko Petroleum Corp keep greasing the palms of the big wigs there's nothing Chevron / Texaco will ever be able to do.
I said it before and I'll say it again because I believe it could work,,,
If everyone started buying Strictly Chevron / Texaco gas, it would put a major hurtin' on the others. We should be supporting Chevron and Texaco anyway After all they are the companies that are leading the way in finding U.S. oil supplies just look at what they've found already in the Gulf of Mexico.
here's the link to a Sept. 25th 2006 report telling how Chevron found a HUGE Oil Reserve in the Gulf of Mexico.
just my input on the subject...

Old 03-14-2008, 04:48 PM
B&C 180 Class

SUPPLY AND DEMAND thats all there is to it.what size vehicle do you drive?how often do you drive.If people keep guzzling gas no boycott will ever work.I have cut back drastically on how much/far i drive.Till americans ditch the big SUV's your going to keep getting hosed at the gas station plain and simple.I betcha its gets alot worse before it gets better.I rember the lines no gas days in the 70's then toyotas became popular the muscle cars died.people forgot those lessons and now they are paying the price for their ignorance
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 03-14-2008, 06:23 PM
ronn

Bull. Who controls supply? All the oil co's have to do is stop putting it out there for sale, the price goes up. wars, EPA, Hurricanes, pipe line break, all reason that supply COULD BE slowed. Happens all the time with the lumber industry here. mills sit on the logs till the price gets where they what it then they run the lumber. so if everyone was driving priuses the co would just sit on it longer till the price got where they wanted. One thing to keep in mind we still pay some of the lowest prices in the world. Its the record profits that irk me. In a free market society a co has the obligation to make a profit but come on, when is it enough? Oh and history shows there was no gas shortage in the 70's there was the threat of a gas shortage so the oil co's AND the government sat on what they had and just wouldn't release it. The threat alone was enough to cause panic. Sounds like on both sides of the coin, right? well its not that simple and it is. Just me babbling. And I drive a dodge pickup with a V8 and a Dodge charger yes with a HEMI and I think I'm far from ignorant.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote