Moose attack video - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:53 AM

Default Moose attack video

A Moose attacking a man caught on Video... I would have taken the same steps to defend myself and everyone else riding behind me...

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2014, 10:24 AM

Didn't have to happen, I would arrest/prosecute the shooter especially after the moose backed off twice and the shooter advanced his machine towards it causing the moose to attack. Why advance on the moose when you see it at a distance? Didn't give the moose time to leave on it's own. Made me sick to watch the event. Shows gun carrying idiots with an over the top desire to shoot something! I think you can tell I really disliked the video. I'm proud to be a hunter however that was provoked cold blooded murder, in my opinion. To ride past a big game animal you just shot like nothing happened, what the heck?? We may be at odds on what we see in the video on this one, it will be interesting to read other's view. I hope the DNR looks at the video and issues a ticket.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:38 AM

HM I agree I watched it a few times as this is all over the internet it looks to me that he provoked the Moose & put himself into that situation
the distance he stopped at he could have waited to see which way the moose was going to go or just turn around. Then he keeps heading toward it. I think there was a lot of other ways this could have been handled

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 02-27-2014, 12:05 PM

I'm sorry guys but I didn't see it that way, I've encountered moose in the woods, it's pretty startling when it happens, they are HUGE animals, Luckily I've never been attacked but I watched this video a few times and the way I see it is, as soon as the moose made the first attack putting him in full attack mode he showed no indication that he would back off or flee, in the video as the moose turned the final time, I'm certain it was to make another attack and not to flee, if he wanted to flee he would have kept moving on and not turned back around but he had other intentions like make another attack which is what I believe was going to happen, I think the shooter knew or felt the same as I would have, when that moose turned a final time it was time to go into protection mode, therefore I stand by my initial response when I say I would have done the same thing as this shooter did.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:52 PM

Bruce I see where you are coming from I have encountered many moose here have been chased a couple times while hunting
but if you look close when the moose turned back the guy heads toward it with the snowmobile which I believe put the moose back into attack mode
& if he just stayed where he was in the beginning of the video the moose may not have done anything.
if he is not familiar with moose he may not have known what to do

Moose are not normally aggressive, however, they can be very aggressive when hungry, tired or harassed by people, dogs ect...
You can identify when a moose might attack if the long hairs on its hump are raised and it's ears laid back. A moose may also lick its lips. Charges may only be "bluffs", warning you to get back, however take this seriously
Unlike other animals, such as dogs and bears, it's usually a good idea to run from a moose because they won't chase you very far
so I still have to say the guy is at fault all he had to do is wait or turn around but that is just my opinion as I have been in this situation a few times

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 02-27-2014, 04:45 PM

It's interesting how we view this situation differently but there's only 2 ways to see this one either the guy was right or wrong in putting the animal down and I may be wrong about this but I'd still have taken the same actions as he did what I saw was the moose didn't just do a mock/bluff type of charge he meant business once a moose engages as long as they have energy in their lungs they wont normally back down BUT I'll add this also, if the snowmobilers could have turned off the trail to escape I would rather have seen them do that than have to put the moose down but we know in most cases (in the woods) you cant get off trails or turn around to head away from this sort of danger, even when the moose himself stepped off the trail he sank quite deep, actually falling in the snow himself so there's no way the riders could have escaped any other way but straight ahead, the video makes for good discussion.

PS I think it should be mentioned that the person that posted the video, explained it this way.

"{Published on Feb 22, 2014

A man, age 51 with a life threatening heart condition (dilated cardiomyopathy), while snowmobiling out west with his son, comes upon a moose in the wild. Concerned that an animal attack might be about to happen, the site seeing experience goes bad when the moose, not wanting to be on camera, decides to charge. Coming over the snowmobile, the 1,000 pound bull attacks, kicking the Dad in the chest; the moose's intentions were clear. This was one angry animal attack. With only a hand gun to defend himself and his son, the Father fires a warning shot only to quickly fire 4 more to defer a 2nd attack...when animals attack."

Old 02-28-2014, 06:00 AM

Bruce I agree it does make for a great discussion & unless I was there it really is hard to say what his choices were
I have watched it more last night. but still looks like so many things he could of done & shouldn't have done to me
also where he stops the first time looks like a broke trail off the left not groomed but someone broke a trail & I still don't understand why he kept advancing on the moose
guess we may not know what really happened

Steven Wright
Old 02-28-2014, 06:51 AM

I see it as a very sad event and probably should have been avoided.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:37 PM
B&C 180 Class

Well I believe both arguments are correct in a way. First off, I completely understand that with that much snow, it is a very good idea to stay on trails to not only avoid getting stuck but to make sure you know your way out of (or into) the woods. That said, I do believe the man and his son should have waited to let the moose vacate the area. To me, they were making sounds and causing the animal to "notice" them more than they should have. I would've stayed put and waited for the animal to pass and then went on my way. However, had the animal began coming my way on the trail, yes, my revolver would have been out and ready (but more than likely my 30-06). If I felt threatened or if the moose started running at me, I would have shot, multiple times and never dreamed of letting the animal get that close to me. SO... in my eyes, both sides are right. I do think the man provoked the animal and there were alternatives that he could have chosen. But at the same time, if an animal charges a human, we have to be prepared. My 2cents...