Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Campfire (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/)
-   -   Which GPS ?? (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/1482-gps.html)

BruceBruce1959 01-25-2008 04:56 PM

Which GPS ??

I would like some advice on which GPS handhelds I should look into before making a purchase. Up till now I haven't needed a GPS but this next season is going to be a little adventerous for me...

Any special features I should be looking for?
Any particular brand ?
Any particular Model?

Any information you can offer for is appreciated. Thank you all.

Turtle 01-25-2008 05:03 PM

LOOKS LIKE BRUCE IS GOING TO PUT THOSE BENOIT VIDEOS TO THE TEST:pickle:

BruceBruce1959 01-25-2008 05:15 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: Naw,, I just decided it's time to go to places that, up till now I only dreamed about hunting..

Turtle 01-25-2008 05:23 PM

Well best of Luck on Your Adventures and remember lots of post and plenty of pics.

My next big adventure may just be seen through your eyes.:coffee:

wmi 01-25-2008 05:49 PM

Garmin Bruce. It is user friendly and has lots of options that in time you will learn how to use---Most of all one day it could save your life in those BIG woods. This is serious I would not steer you wrong.

BruceBruce1959 01-25-2008 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmi (Post 9255)
Garmin Bruce. It is user friendly and has lots of options that in time you will learn how to use---Most of all one day it could save your life in those BIG woods. This is serious I would not steer you wrong.

Any particular model or would an entry level be fine?

Berk 01-25-2008 06:03 PM

I use a Magellin Explorist 400 and it works pretty well.You have to buy one with the maps on a disc or get it seperately.When you put the program on your computer you can customize the maps for your situation.It comes with topo maps and major and minor roads of the entire country.I dont know enough about other GPS recievers to say how it compares but it does the job in all teraines and weather.The only nock is that if you have Windows Vista its kind of a pain to load and download maps to the reciever.Also the new ones have color,weatherbands and two way radio capabilities but alot higher prices.GPS is very handy in big woods.

BruceBruce1959 01-25-2008 06:06 PM

oh great :wacko: I have Windows Vista!

wmi 01-25-2008 06:36 PM

Bruce I do not know what your finances are but up in your area look at it as important to the hunt as your choice of weapon. What you are looking for is something that will interface with online mapping (so you can make your own maps) and have everything else there when you need it such as weather, baro pressure (sudden weather changes), forcast warnings. The Garmin 530HCx or the 60CSx will do it all. Pricey but it is like computers changing everyday. This is the latest and greatest. It is up to you what is absolutly nessesary. I would stay as close to these units as you can. I use these units mapping buck trails and travel corridors for downloading onto my map features. It with trail cams helps me predict where a buck is going, why, and how and where I can intercept him. I know this sounds crazy but yes I can figure these things out but now I can put them on paper to remember them. I am getting older you know.:tongue:

joel the signman 01-25-2008 07:28 PM

what he said.i have 2 units an OLD LOWRANCE. CANT GET SOFTWARE FOR IT.ALSO GOT A CHEAP GARMIN GEKO IT WAS A GIFT BUT I THINK THEY GO FOR 80$ THIS IS YOUR BASIC ELECTRONIC COMPASS:lol: sorry caps loc.those new units look/sound amazing.i use a delorme topo program and they sent me an ad for that new unit.it does everything but shoot and drag the deer for ya:ibtl: