Deer Hunting Forums banner

Which GPS ??

13K views 52 replies 9 participants last post by  BruceBruce1959 
#1 ·
I would like some advice on which GPS handhelds I should look into before making a purchase. Up till now I haven't needed a GPS but this next season is going to be a little adventerous for me...

Any special features I should be looking for?
Any particular brand ?
Any particular Model?

Any information you can offer for is appreciated. Thank you all.

#34 ·
Well Congratulations Turtle!! If these fancy contraptions they call GPS's get folks like us, In and Back out of the woods without getting lost
Then I hope I inspire everybody that enters the woods to get one...

Have fun and Good Luck with yours...
:pickle:

#37 ·
its very useful for scouting i walk around following rub lines without fear of getting lost you can put in track sightings rubs scrapes etc then like one horse said you can make your own map:thumbup:

#39 ·
Timberghost, I don't know which would be considered the best but
The one I got (according to Garmin) is their best seller. the "GPSMAP60CSx"
IT is LOADED wih features. And I can already say I love this thing.
I installed the new Topo maps and NOW when I view my tracks on the
computer I can see the 4 wheeler trails I use in the woods which up till now
were just not visible on google earth BUT now not only do I get to see them
but I can see them on Google earth now too.

As soon as warmer weather comes around I'll be making myself some maps
of all our ATV trails we use for hunting, and from there I'll start working on
mapping the Deer trails... I can hardly wait...

SO I would say get the same thing I got and You'll be glad you did.
:pickle:

#41 ·
:lol: :lol: :lol: NO But I would have liked the Employee discount when I bought mine LOL
I wish I would have had a GPS 30 years ago, Oh man I can't even imagine the places I would have been to by now. :pickle:

#42 · (Edited)
You're making me jealous. My "old" Garmin 12XL doesn't do half as much, I'm sure!
Bruce, when you mention the four wheeler tracks, are you looking at a satellite photo on your new Garmin, like on Google earh? I think Bushnell has entered the GPS field with a unit does something like this as well.

#43 ·
what I do is, after I run the trails I come home and I can upload that track onto my computer, then I can see it on the garmin road map, or the Garmin Topo map or the garmin mapsource software has a "View In Google Earth" option as well... and Yes I can see my track on the GPS also but not the Google Earth view, I can only see that on the computer.

#44 ·
how much with all the bells and whistles?if ya dont mind if ya do then dont reply

#45 ·
Wal Mart ------------------- $305.00 + tax shipping and handling

amazon com --the Topo 2008 $78.10
" """ " -- Micro SD card $22.75

#46 ·
4 and change? not too shabby

#47 ·
No, not bad at all, BUT I shopped all over and the price was ranging
from $489. down to $305. and that's just for the GPS itself, So it did pay-off to shop around..

#48 ·
If some of you guys are going to shop for a GPS, you'll find them on Ebay, but be careeful. Many of these folks who sell new GPSs are not selling factory warranteed stuff. Check it our beforehand. Of course, if you want to take a chance, you might get a really low price. You just have to decide if it's worth it.

#49 ·
i hear lots of bad stuff with ebay. i bought a video camera from a company on there under a year it gave me trouble,i sent it back and they are dragging they're feet.i sent it usps and i insured it and had delivery confirmation.im getting ready to get the postal police involved:wallbash:

#51 ·
Bruce, you were right the "view on google earth" is awsome. The 24 mb memory in the Venture was enough for topo of whole state but only loaded the half I hunt. Being able to view my spots on the computer is great, it's like I entered a whole new world of hunting.:shocking:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.