The Benoit Traveling Display - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:47 AM

WMi, I'm just curious, How did you become familiar with the Benoits??

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 01-24-2008 at 06:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 07:23 AM
B&C 140 Class

Wink

Well 1st I'm a trophy buck hunter so anyone who is successful I want to know how and what they do that sets them apart. Kind of like the personality of a trophy buck.
2nd One of by best friends is from NH and those boys up untill this year hunted some of the same areas as he does ---- He knows them. This year they closed the season 3 weeks early in the upper portion of the state before snow and the yarding up of the deer.
Those guys do not hunt like most of us. They are trackers and will track a single buck for days. The info I learned from them has been helpful. There is more to tracking than finding a big set of prints.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:41 AM

That is awesome and I agree with you 100%, We as hunters can learn a lot for the Benoits hunting styles and techniques.
Can you just imagine the Hunting knowledge within the Benoit family alone... Those guys have passed up bigger bucks than I've
ever seen BUT I decided this coming season may be the year for me to Hunt northern NH and possibly Maine so if you have any
specific areas you think I should give a try scouting in, Don't hesitate to message me with your suggestions,
I'm open to scouting/hunting anywhere... I love hunting Vermont but I've waited too long before deciding to head into the deep northern areas where I know I will be one on one with my trophy

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 01-24-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:19 AM
B&C 140 Class

Red face

Bruce their way of hunting is way diff. than mine but their tracking skills are legendary. Most of their hunting now days is in Quebec. They have a huge network of fellow loggers that give them the latest info on areas of large buck sign. What they do is drive old roads until they cut a good track and then go after him. One man stays at the truck and when the trackers are finished for that day they radio back to the truck GPS coord. and the truck gives them the closest road that he can drive around to pick them up. Then the next day start all over again. THAT'S TOUGH! They are walking,talking blood hounds.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:37 AM

I'm not too sure about Quebec but in their more recent vidoe's they comment they're hunting in Maine or Northern New Hampshire

Old 01-25-2008, 07:34 AM
B&C 180 Class

i've watched a video of their's and one they are am,azing trackers.however one thing i did not like about them was the style of shooting they do.I understand they are in remote backwoods areas but they seem to throw A LOT OF LEAD AROUND for my liking.they shoot at running away and jumping bucks.these are ll no no 's in hunter safety.The style is also very different than mine as i tend to be a stand hunter.
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 01-25-2008, 11:47 AM

Yeah they do throw out some extra shots that may not be needed but the knowledge they share doesn't
require us to become the same type of shooters that they are.
I always said that it should only take one shot to send a Deer into his next life, in rare cases, maybe 2 shots..

Old 01-25-2008, 01:59 PM
B&C 140 Class

When I post earlier I was biting my tongue about this subject. Throw lead around ----YAHOO! That goes against my grain. I guess in their mind the more a deer looks like swiss cheese the easier it is to track him. All in all you can still learn much from them. I have stated that I am a big Roger Raglin fan. Have all of his videos and learned a ton from him. He is an unbelievable shot and for me one shot one kill should be what we all strive for. But even Roger does things I won't do like deer drives. To me if I can't out wit a buck one on one he has earned his ticket to next year. This really is what drives me the challenge of harvesting a mature trophy whitetail. Man they get me worked up---Bet you couldn't tell.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:22 PM
B&C 180 Class

sounds like you got the "sickness"
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 01-25-2008, 08:06 PM
B&C 140 Class

As lways, Bruce and Joel make great points. But as long as we are even daring to criticize some of the experts, I'll just throw in an observation on Roger Raglin. Yes, at least in what he shows in his videos, he is a great shot and it would be hard to find more info anywhere than in his BKS (Best Kept Secrets) series. But sometimes he seems a little disrespectful of the deer that he just killed by referring to it as "this sucker, etc". Maybe he doesn't mean anything by it, but it just seems a bit irreverent to me.Just my opinion.