heart - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:16 PM

Default heart

First thing the son said, you won't be able to go flintlock hunting because of the recoil due to sawing my chest open . I'll have to look into remote firing systems...... and get another son I'd like to hear from anyone that's had heart surgery for information/suggestions, experience. I do know they make two types of valves mechanical and bovine each have +'s & -'s so the surgen will give me all the details on the 22nd. Never in my life did something like this enter into my plans. Still a shocker right now. I'll have a lot of free computer time to talk to everyone so be advised HM will be on line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 03:45 PM

HM, I had an open heart surgery in Dec. 2002, a single by-pass. I think it's safe to say, You're not going to want to take any risks (that includes avoiding Rifle Recoil) for awhile anyway,
your Surgeon/Doctors are probably going to explain all the activities you should avoid, they won't even want you to drive a vehicle for a period of time as well because,
if you get into an accident an the air bag deploys your chest wont be able to handle the impact, even wearing a seatbelt isn't going to feel very comfortable on you.
I'm sorry to have to say it but it's better to accept that you may have to miss a year of hunts in order to be totally ready for the following year.
With todays medical advancements I would tell you to NOT worry at all,,,, it sounds a lot more dangerous than it statistically is now a days and I'm sure your surgeon will point that out to you as well.
Of course all surgeries have risks but I think you'll be comforted to find out there's a very high success rate with heart valve replacements...

Old 10-17-2013, 04:03 PM
B&C 180 Class

I can attest to what BB said... My brother's surgery was a big deal to him, but very routine to the surgeon. I remember he had to take it easy for quite some time due to the fact they sawed through his sternum and then pulled back his ribs. He had alot of soreness but ultimately, he came out of it A-OK.