4 wheelers - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:08 AM
B&C 140 Class

We have a Polaris 800 rzr4, can am renegade 500, Yamaha YFZ 450, Polaris 400 sportsman, a couple little kid 4 wheelers, and Polaris 500 ranger. The ranger is the most useful tool for us in the woods. Load up as much in the bed as you want, and still nimble enough to handle roughish terrain. it seems like it has enough power to do some pulling, but we don't use it for that. If you will want to pull small implements or planting drills you will want to consider something with a larger engine probably ( ~800cc)
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 10:39 PM

I used to have a Suzuki King Quad 700 and I loved it. I had huge mud tires, lift kit, power exhaust, power commander velocity device, after market air cleaner, spark plug, drive belt and winch. It was built like a tank. A stock King Quad will be very sufficient for you. They are powerful, heavy duty, very stable and rider friendly. All utility ATV's also have a fittting for a ball hitch for trailers if towing things were in your interests. I now have a Kawasaki Brute Force 750 twin cylinders and it is very nice and more powerful but not nearly as stable and rider friendly as the King Quad.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:07 AM
B&C 180 Class

Great discussion guys. I appreciate your feedback as it will help in selecting the right ATV for me and my family. My only concern is buying one used... I don't have the ability to buy a new one right now so buying used is the only option at this time.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:42 AM

Tator bought mine used & got it cheap I was nervous buying used also but was all I could afford I was fully expecting major problems but I looked it over very well (10 years of being a mechanic helped) all mine needed were front axles it took me a 1/2 hour total to do both sides. If your not mechanicly inclined bring someone with you that is. usually a Visual check will tell you a lot on how it was treated. listen to the engine & transmission for any noises, look at all the fluids do they look fresh or old, bring a small jack & check the wheels & suspension for play, look at the under belly scratches & small dings are normal Big dents in Skid Plates & frame tubes are not, make sure the engine is cold when you get there & then start it look for smoke out the tail pipe if engine feels like they started it before you got there either wait a while to start it or ask to come back & tell them not to start it. Ask a lot of Questions & listen closely to How they answer. Last tip I can think of is any machine you are interested in research online not only issues but parts prices these things are getting like cars with all the sensors & computers in them & the prices of some of the prices will scare you. this is one of the reasons I went with an older model parts are cheaper & more new & used parts out there
Good Luck Tator

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 11-10-2013, 10:56 AM
B&C 100 Class

Make sure to check owner history maintenance. At 400 hours your probably looking at 5,000 to 10,000 miles but I can't be sure at all.