Dog Hunting - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Dog Hunting

What would YOU do in this situation--The guy next door to my 160 acre tract is upset I wont let him hunt whenever he pleases--so everytime I go deer hunting (an hour long drive) to the property he waits until I get in my stand and releases 4 of his coon hounds onto my property to raise caine and hoot and holler and ruin the evening hunt--I have called the game warden who stated to take them to a pound where he will have to pay a fee to get the dogs but that is another hour long drive...any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Response from blacktail jo

I would warn him first that any dogs found on your property will be shot. Especially if they are chasing game. In my neck of the woods in a Northwest farming community this would be the solution. Deffinately give him warning and maybe check with your local law enforcement to varify that it's legal. I'd hate to see a good hound bite the dust but in your situation I think I would follow through.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:00 PM

Think about how he would like going to the pound to get his dogs, would that teach him a lesson to drive an hour using his time and money (gas+dogs)? What about the property laws where you're at? Are you able to "confiscate" these dogs,keep them in your custody then release them to the authorities and then have him answer to them? Of course there is another option but it's not one to discuss openly. On a lighter note, welcome to the forum and hopefully you'll get some better insight to this matter just hang in there.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:02 PM

Welcome, blacktail jo, glad to have you aboard.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:22 PM
B&C 120 Class

i live in the city, my neighbor has a yard full of dogs. i cant even stand on my back porch without being barked at by 4 yappy dogs. its exceedingly annoying. slingshots work good (or bb guns). it may not work good in your situation (driving an hour to shoot dogs with a slingshot? i could find better use of my time). down here, being rude like that is a hangin offense (especially during hunting season). so what im saying is . . . shoot the dog! or the owner
Old 01-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Scrub Buck

definatly check the law some courts say dogs cant read posted signs .but if you do shoot the dogs dont let anyone know maybe soot them with a 22 ? then dispose of them (get rid of the evidence ) I have run into almost the same problem.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore99 View Post
What would YOU do in this situation--The guy next door to my 160 acre tract is upset I wont let him hunt whenever he pleases--so everytime I go deer hunting (an hour long drive) to the property he waits until I get in my stand and releases 4 of his coon hounds onto my property to raise caine and hoot and holler and ruin the evening hunt--I have called the game warden who stated to take them to a pound where he will have to pay a fee to get the dogs but that is another hour long drive...any suggestions
Those are some game warden/s you got there!
Do all the local Game Wardens ask you to do their work for them?

I'm sorry but I have to be bold on this one, only because he's only releasing his dogs to tick you off that's which isnt very neighborly or Sportsmanlike BUT at this point here's what I would do.

I would call your "SO CALLED" game wardens and tell them you're having a problem with this neighbor, have the Game Warden/s meet you at your property, Explain to them what's happening THEN ask them to go along with you so you can tell this neighbor one final time with them as witnesses to stop releasing his dogs onto your property When you get to the neighbors make sure you have the game warden/s with you when you tell the neighbor He nor are his dogs allowed onto your hunting property at anytime and from this moment on if HE or his DOGS enters your property you will have no choice but to have him arrested and charged with trespassing or if it's his dogs you will not hesitate to shoot them, THEN turn to the game wardens and tell them to be sure to file a report of the warning you gave the neighbor and tell them you would like a copy of the report.

Good Luck to you...

Old 01-04-2008, 05:49 PM
B&C 160 Class

Yeah everything Bruce said, that's someone you can always go to for good advice.

I would also recommend you check the regulations. Here in SC Table C:Statutory Suspensions Para. N states that a person who is guilty of "Impeding the right to hunt, fish, or trap" will lose their privileges for 1 year. So not only could he not hunt your property he couldn't hunt anywhere for 1 year.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:45 PM
B&C 140 Class

I'm with Bruce on this, except I don't think I'd shoot the dogs under any circumstances, unless they were a clear, immediate threat to me or my own animals. The main point is to be sure that YOU are legally correct in anything you do. That way you are keeping the pressure on him and not transferring it unto yourself. (e.i. You threaten him or do anything that will get the authorities looking at you instead of him.) Of course, you might be able to bring some sort of civil suit against him, although that, most likely, would require the expense of hiring a lawyer. It's too bad these things happen. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:05 PM

I agree don't shoot the dogs it's not their fault. Deal with the owner in any legal way you can. It might cost some lawyer fees but that may end the problem when he is facing a few $1000's in law suit. I would advise that for $150.00 most lawyers would send the person a notice of potential lawsuit pending another dog incident. Have them clearly outline your position regarding trespassing and hunter harassment. I'm sure that they would state current law statutes and probable suit filing. This most likely would do the trick. Good Luck.