Deer Hunting Forums banner

That didn't go as planned....

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Hellbilly 
#1 ·
While outside this evening playing ball with my son and daughter the neighbor boy comes over with his buddy who is spending the night. They are around 2nd grade or so. Well they informed me that they were going to spend the night camping outside in their back yard in a tent. Well immediately, my mind goes to what I can do to scare the heck out of them when it gets dark. So the next step was how to do this. Then I remembered a gift I got last Christmas. A coyote call with all sorts of distress sounds. So at around 9:30, I ventured outdoors to the edge of the property line and began with a fawn in distress call. Immediately the light in the tent came on. I could hardly contain myself. I waited around 5 minutes and then did it again. This time I heard talking and some yelling. Still laughter filled my soul! But then I made a mistake. I sounded the rabbit in distress call. What happened next did not make me smile nor did it make me happy. I saw this large black object coming my way as I was squatting along the fence row. Once the object got around 30 yards from me, I realized what it was. It was pretty dark, so it wasn't obvious until around 40 yards that it was coming my way. Then my mind remembered that the same neighbors have a Rottweiler....Yes this is the scary part. This Rot is typically very nice and tame because she's an old gal. Well, not tonight. Seems as though she thought she was going to get some good eating's. SO I stand up and yell at her to GET BACK! My heart racing, I clapped, whistled anything to get this dog away. I ventured into my house, laughing but heart racing. While it was funny, I felt as though I could have died tonight. ha. :w00t:

See less See more
#6 ·
It definitely got the heart rate up. It was almost surreal because it took me so long to realize there was something coming my way. Then when I knew what it was, the hair on my neck stood up. Not sure who was more scared, me or the dog.

#7 ·
got to watch doing things like that. a pack of yotes coming from behind would have been bad news. glad the rottie did not take what you did as a challenge either. most time its the simplest things that get us in the most trouble

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.