Deer Hunting Forums banner

Gun information

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Glenn_S 
#1 ·
I know many of you on here are much more versed in guns than I am. I will admit, I love shooting guns and I love hunting, but I'm not good at classifying guns and/or knowing their worth. These guns have been given to me by a close relative that has gone into an elderly care facility. Any information about them is very much appreciated and helpful. Also, any values would help as well- just so that I know. Thank you

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'll chip in on the ones I know.

The Glenfield .22LR is an older version of the Marlin 66. Wood stocked, pretty plain. Very common. Value? $75-125 in good condition.

JC Higgin's 20-ga. Again, a common simple shotgun. Used to be able to buy them at Sears, Montgomery Wards and other places. I don't think yours shows much special about it, so again the value is pretty low due to common-ness.

The military rifle looks like a trainer, especially in .22LR. Not rare, but less common any more. Probably pretty accurate.

The others, especially the old Remington shotgun are out of my range of experience so I'll let other chime in.

#4 ·
Thanks scorpion for your help. I greatly appreciate it. I did some research last night on the hand gun. I think it was a law enforcement series.??? Some were also saying the ivory handle made it less valuable?? Thanks again for the help

#5 ·
Thanks scorpion for your help. I greatly appreciate it. I did some research last night on the hand gun. I think it was a law enforcement series.??? Some were also saying the ivory handle made it less valuable?? Thanks again for the help
ivory grips will never make a gun less valueable, but more so the grips could be worth much more than the gun its self. By the looks of the grips I really don't think there ivory or stag don't even think there bone. looks more like bakealite. There is very little info on older S&W guns. You can call S&W they will give you some info but not much unless you pay for it. Also if the S&W don't say 38spl on it don't shoot 38spl ammo in it,its not the same and please no +P ammo. all totaled up you probably have $500-$800 worth of guns. the 22 and the single shot 20g or great squirrel getters. Id like a bit more info on the Remington shotgun. does it have a model # on it or a name?

#6 ·
I did come across this so check your #s real good and look for proof markings.......................................... Likely late 1944. Any further on it would be an SV prefix to indicate the improved hammerblock modification. Military serials ended at SV 811,XXX with war's end. The "p" is the military proofmark. Since you do not mention U.S. Property marking I assume none. In that case you gun was sold to an authorized receipient through the Defense Supplies Corporation.

#8 · (Edited)
The 4th picture (second rifle) is a Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk I*. This was a Savage made rifle built for the British during WWII. It has been sporterized for hunting and is chambered in .303 British. The Savage built rifles are stamped PROPERTY OF US and are sought after more so than non-Savage. These were built under the Lend-Lease provisions of WWII and were technically property of the US, but were meant to bolster the production of this British rifle without the US officially becoming involved. We all know how that ended up...From a collectors standpoint, the fact that it has been set up for hunting ruins the value for most people.

However, I have a similar one (non-Savage) and while the monetary value isn't that much (I paid $100 for mine), it is a fine hunting rifle and ammo is still easily available. I also used one that my father owned years ago when I started hunting. Stay clear of the POF Pakistani crap as it is highly corrosive. PPU, Rem and Fed are all available, with most that have these preferring PPU. Sportsman's Guide has it for about $15 for a box of 20.

The Lee-Enfield has arguably one of the smoothest action ever built, and a unique cock on close mechanism. Search the web for the "mad minute" and watch how fast this rifle can be shot.

Take a look here for additional information: Enfield-Rifles.com

Hope this helps!

Glenn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.