Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Campfire (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/)
-   -   Keeping warm? (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/10419-keeping-warm.html)

Baj Rick 01-24-2013 10:38 AM

Keeping warm?

After frezzing my butt off in a deer blind this year, I'm curious about what you guys are doing to stay warm.
I bring extra socks and long johns, but still end up with froozen toes.
The little hand warmer things don't seem to work very well.
So, What are your secrets to a comfortable hunt in the COLD?

on_the_fly 01-24-2013 11:34 AM

For me , if my feet get cold I'm done. Can't sit still time to just go, but I've started putting the small hand warmers in my boots and have not had cold toes since. I put on a pair of socks then hand warmer on top of my toes and on top of the sock ( gets too hot for me against skin) and put another thinner sock over the other and that top sock holds the heat warmer in place. ( dont like under toes, feels too funny trying to walk and I think warms better on top anyways)

timetohunt 01-24-2013 03:38 PM

I do the handwarmer in the boot too. Its been two seasons hear in NY that we haven't had cold weather. Its got to get below 20F to be considered cold. The sitting in the cold dosen't bother me so much. Its the get up and trying to get moving that is hard. I swear the hardest thing to do hunting is to unhook the bow or gun from the "let down" line of a treestand after sitting for 4 hours and hardly moving. That or trying to unzip and zip your fly after hardly moving for 4 hours.

spiker 01-24-2013 07:57 PM

Get bunny boots for your feet.A liitle heavy but for sitting your feet will not get cold ever.Sportsmans guide has them

Hellbilly 01-24-2013 11:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
best thing I have found for cold feet is mirino wool socks. bass pro has a pair that or great.they even have a life time replacement if you wear a hole in them. they have made my feet happy this season. Also I have a new best friend when Im hunting in a blind or in the shoot house

Baj Rick 01-25-2013 08:14 AM

Thanks Guys. I'll try some of this out. I have also thought about getting the wifes sewing machine out and sewing a coat to the top of a sleeping bag.

tator 01-25-2013 09:17 AM

they make feet warmers that stick to the bottom of your socks. you can't hardly feel them as you walk either. They work.
My feet getting cold doesn't affect me that much. I typically curl my toes under and that helps keep them warm. Kinda like when your hands are cold you make a fist.

timetohunt 01-25-2013 10:12 AM

It gets cold in Missouri Tator?

The coat/sleeping bag should keep you warm - A little burdensome to carry in and out of the woods unless you got one of those wheelers. I only hunt by foot from the car so I am limited in what i Can tote around.

timetohunt 01-25-2013 10:16 AM

That reminds me of a quick story. When I was in College in Pensacola Florida a buddy and me went to a local race tract for some Friday Night Racing in Jan / Feb. (I dont remember the exact time) They called the race "The snowball Derby". I wore Jeans and a fleece coat being from NY. We were in the very select minority of people not in full camo oeveralls. I guess all them southern racing rednecks (a compliment not a dis:) only have camo for cool (their cold) weather.

timberghost 01-25-2013 07:02 PM

The Heater Body Suit for those very frigid days. Then I also use the cold weather boot pillows that slip over your boots and keep them nice and warm. My feet never get cold with the suit because there are boot covers that go along with it too. The boot pillows are good to wear with just nornal cold weather clothing on the not too frigid, tolerable days.