Deer Hunting Forums banner

Bad day yesterday.

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  gfdeputy2 
#1 ·
Got scared out of my wits yesterday. I had all the kids over for dinner and my little 2 year old grand daughter old went into a seisure (spell)?. This was a bad one in that I ended up doing CPR through her nose to get her breathing again. She had started to turn blue and the need for the CPR prior to the rescue unit getting here. Our local fire dept isn't real big big, but at least 8 responders showed up and several vehicles. The hospital said it was a fever induced seisure, however, we never saw a number over 100*. Hospital said it could have spiked just long enough to trigger the event. She had be running a very low grade fever for 2 days. She was not dehydrated either! Watching a 2 year old fade away like that as you are doing CPR is something that will be forever etched into my mind. This could be a one time event or something that could happen again with a fever. Hug your kids and grand kids today and I pray that nothing ever happens like this to any child!

#3 ·
Thanks TG, right now she is at the DR's getting a check up. I think she has a nasty flu at the very minimum. Only thing weird is a bit of staring off that she is doing, hopefully just because she is not feeling well??? Should know more later tonight. I get to watch her tomorrow for a few hours so I can get a good look at her. I just hope there is no repeat or lasting health issue! Still a bit concerned......

#4 ·
wow Thank God you were able to deal with the situation by taking action and doing the right thing, We will keep her in prayer,,, keep us posted.

#6 ·
HM Sorry to hear that HM. I pray all ends up OK
I was a firefighter/EMS for 21 years & have numerous CPR calls
it always hit the hardest when a call came in for a child
even with all my years of doing it I can't emagine having to do it to my own. so Glad you know CPR I think everyone should know it. 1 day out of your year to learn it & you could save a life.

#7 · (Edited)
Up-date, she is ok. Still running a low grade fever and some additional test but after talking to my niece/school nurse it seems many really young children have these and in most cases there is no long term effects. Also, they seem to grow out of the fever siesure issue after 4-5 years old. My dad had several seisures throughout his adult life until they finally figured out he needed a heart pacemaker, that ended his siesures. Wish I could spell. I get to watch the grand daughter twice today so I'll get a good look at her while we watch tinker bell, cinderella, and turtle tales, yea!!!!! I leave tomorrow for PA and a little relaxation.

#9 ·
Good, quick thinking by grandpa! I know it's scary, my heart stops everytime my 4 year old falls or my 1 1/2 year old goes head first into the carpet.

When my 4 year old was around 15 months old, he fell head first into my parent's fireplace (they have a ledge at the bottom that you can sort of sit on) and he hit the corner of the fireplace (bricks) with his forehead. That sound I will never forget. He was running and tripped over his sandel he was wearing. He got up turned and looked at us and what seemed like forever, then GUSH, blood everywhere. 5 stitches later we were counting our blessings that it wasn't much worse.
We can look back on this pic now and laugh, but it scared the daylights out of us.

Great thinking and acting HM... I hope your grand-girl gets better fast!

Attachments

#11 ·
that is great news HM, I'm glad to hear she's ok and things will be ok for her... It's still scary to have to deal with when things like that happen, we will be sure to keep her in prayer..

#12 ·
Well been gone awhile but had to comment on this.First off thank god your grandaughter is allright,second Hm you are to be commended for handling the situation as well as you did.God Bless you & the family and thank God it turned out ok.If u need any costumes for dressup ill ship ya a truckload.:lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.