Deer Hunting Forums banner

another surgery

7K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
Well found out today that Dec 11, next Tuesday, I go in for surgery. I told my son it was from dragging in too many deer this year!:lol: Double hernias and I will be out of work about 4 weeks or so. Ohio late season is in 4.5 weeks, should be able to at least carry my ML around, maybe the son will have to drag #6 in :bag:. Getting old is no fun anymore.... :ranting:

#4 ·
Good luck to you. I'm only 32 but am stiff as a board when I get up in the mornings from my back. When I have to lean over I do so sort of to the left side more and then forward. After about an hour of being awake, I loosen up. I have been to the chiropractor 3 times in my life and while my back feels wonderful after a "session", it remains stiff in the mornings. Guess all them years of helping everyone move and lifting up kiddos all the time does take it's tole.

#8 ·
Good luck with the surgery. Hernias are a pain as you have to be so careful not to strain afterwards. My wife had hernia surgery last year.

I am also waiting for a date. I have a big bone spur in my achilles tendon about 3 inches up from the bottom of the heal. It is all swollen all the time and is right where your footwear presses when you lace it up. Takes about 6 weeks to recover from this surgery so I have to get it done before March or live with it till late next fall as I have to start prepping for bear hunters in mid-April and then it it go=go-go till the end of the fall guiding season.

No such thing as taking time off work for me and no workers compensation. Oh well........... such is life.

#9 ·
Thanks for the well wishes. If all goes well...., I'll let you know the pain level :unsure: both nasty and when the good stuff kicks in :yes: trouble is how the heck do you prevent these things when most of what we do is lift, drag, climb, cut/chop wood. The doc and I will have a good discussion regarding this!

#11 ·
glad yours went well. mine did not go so good and doc just told me friday that I will need to find a new ocupation.:ranting:Ill never swing a hammer again. looks like I will have to sell my bow cuz I cant pull it back anymore

#17 ·
I have been seeing the ortho surgen. gave me a cortisone shot 2 weeks ago. felt better that day,but went back to thumping. seen him today he looked at my old Xrays and had some new ones done. Looked at the new one and grabed my elbow and says does this hurt? After I caught my breath and got off the floor I said hell yea that hurts. He says another tendon needs to be cut loose

#21 ·
I'll 2nd that HB, hang in there! With another surgery you have to be a bit down in the dumps. There are days that pain drives me mad and then I get a couple good days, I guess that's as good as it gets. Good luck HB, I hope whatever course of action you take works out for you. I will be seeing my pain management dr to see if he will do a series of nerve blocks in my neck. They start out with temporary blocks to see which area works then do a permanent injection block. These shots are to stop the radiating pain down the shoulders chest and upper arm. The neat thing is these are not the giant nerve bundles that go to your fingers and toes but more surface nerves. That's all I know right now.

#27 ·
"you have to be a bit down in the dumps" You aint kiddin about that. between my back and my arm Im going abit :crazy: somedays I dont know what to do and have had some bad thoughts when it hurts so bad I think Im gonna loose it

#22 ·
Hellbilly im goin thru the same thing with my right elbow.Ive had 2 cortisone shoys that didnt do much and somedays i cant extend my arm.Tried Pt which made it worse so im going to c surgeon on 6/5 to be evaluated.Its golfers elbow brought on from throwing garbage everyday.Should ve went to college but my elbow has let me forget about my screwed up neck:thumbdown:.

#23 ·
HB Good luck & sorry to hear the elbow is still not good Spiker good thing My wife doesn't read these posts! She is a PT I have to say I usually don't let her work on me cause man does she put me through some pain but I got to say when she is done I do feel a ton better quicker just have a hard time when she is working on me I have a low tolerance to pain

#24 ·
I just want to say best wishes to everyone during your struggles with the pains, the surgeries,
the sicknesses and all them other pain causing afflictions. You folks are always on our "Get Well Soon" list.

#25 ·
PT also hurt me more than helped. Spiker hopefully improvement is on the horizon. I went 52 years without a single stitch now I'm looking like "son of frankenstein" :crybaby:This last surgery is taking it's good old time healing. Good luck to all having surgery and hopefully pain relief takes place! I don't remember who said "war is hell" but they should have included "getting old sucks". :mad:

#26 ·
That's for sure HM. I remember when I was 20 something and some older guy told me "When ya' got your health ya' got everything!" Of course when you're 20--- you never gave stuff like that a thought, but it sure as hell catches up in a hurry. To all you guys with medical issues going on, speedy recoveries to you!!

#29 ·
HB, bad thoughts are just that, they will pass!. When I lay on the couch packed in ice, with pain tears flowing I think how nice it would be without pain. Bad thoughts happen to all of us, it's normal. The thing is I believe better things are in store for all of us, the bad thoughts pass as the pain level comes down. Besides we all have a few more hunts left in us. If you want to talk to someone give me a private post and # i'll be happy to call/talk anytime on me. I'm sure all of our good friends here would be happy to do the same. Don't think too much on the bad thoughts they'll pass, trust me! :wink: HM

#30 ·
HB, bad thoughts are just that, they will pass!. When I lay on the couch packed in ice, with pain tears flowing I think how nice it would be without pain. Bad thoughts happen to all of us, it's normal. The thing is I believe better things are in store for all of us, the bad thoughts pass as the pain level comes down. Besides we all have a few more hunts left in us. If you want to talk to someone give me a private post and # i'll be happy to call/talk anytime on me. I'm sure all of our good friends here would be happy to do the same. Don't think too much on the bad thoughts they'll pass, trust me! :wink: HM
HM, thanks for the PM and letting me know I aint the only one out there going thru this. I know thoughts or just that,Id never act on them. Thing is there seems to be more " pain tears flowing" these days than not. just having a pity party for myself

#31 ·
Pain does change you and can make you miserable.When i get to feeelin sorry for myself i think of my brother who suffered for four years with cancer in Childrens hospital and died.This snaps me outta of it and makes me feel like a complete ass.Keep it in perspective LIFE IS GOOD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.