Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Campfire (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/)
-   -   Ohio trip (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/10201-ohio-trip.html)

Hunting Man 11-19-2012 10:33 PM

Ohio trip

Will be leaving this Friday for two days of archery then two days of shot gun hunting in S. Ohio with my son. He is the trophy hunter, me I like it in the freezer......:bag: At 25 he has killed two great ohio bucks and a nice PA 8 pt'er along with several smaller bucks. It has to be the teacher :lol:. In all honesty he is probably a better hunter than I was at his age. It would be nice to put a real trophy on the wall though, and S. Ohio is always a possibly. My nephew brought over a pretty small doe tonight for me to cut up. There might be 40 lbs of meat, maybe. :confused: He's happy so that's all that matters. He said the old Savage 99 in 300 Sav did it's job. He loves that rifle and I think I will give it to him, isn't that what uncles do? He has faith in the old 99 and appreciates the simple deer getting design. So do I!

gfdeputy2 11-20-2012 05:48 AM

1st off HM good luck & have a safe trip
RE: the Savage 99 wow I don't know I thought you loved that rifle
they are a great weapon I love my fathers 99 too & I don't think he will ever give that away till he is gone
personally I have wheeled & dealed some of my guns but nothing I would use for hunting but it is your nephew
do you have another 99?

timberghost 11-20-2012 06:54 AM

HM you're a great man, father, and uncle and the best of luck to you guys. Be safe and have some fun.

tator 11-20-2012 08:37 AM

awesome- wish you were my uncle!!!

flexj 11-20-2012 09:46 AM

good luck in Ohio! I hope you find your trophy.

Hunting Man 11-20-2012 06:57 PM

GFD2, I have the smaller brother to the 300 sav, a 250-3000. It's a 1948 in near mint condition with only an issue with the rotary magazine timing otherwise a true collectable. I need to locate a good gunsmith to re-set the spring tension and get it to show 0. I have shot it and hopefully it will harvest a deer in the future. I think the 99's maybe the best rifle ever designed for Joe the average deer hunter.
TG, thanks and the same back to you. I know you as well as many here do the same. I am proud to be in good company here!
Flex and Tator, thanks and maybe with some luck a big one will come my way.

daddus1 11-21-2012 09:11 AM

HM,
I think you have really found an unreplaceable trophy. He is called your son!!
Have a blessed day.
daddus

Hunting Man 11-21-2012 11:31 AM

There are times I'd rather sell him than one of my rifles. :ranting:

gfdeputy2 11-21-2012 04:40 PM

HM I agree they are an awesome rifle
I also agree w/ your statement on kids
people used to tell me when mine were little (TATOR PAY ATTENTION)
that they get better as they get older
well they are Liars
They don't get better just more expensive still wouldn't trade them for anything well maybe a nice gun or an out of state hunting trip but that would be all I would trade them for ok maybe a new truck