Deer Processing near Dodge City - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:15 PM
CHLuke

Default Deer Processing near Dodge City

Hello everyone,
I will be hunting deer for the first time with my brother-inlaw near Dodge City in December and need some advice. Could anyone recommend a processor nearby that will do a good job. Can a deer be processed in a day or two? As you can tell I am optimistic on the outcome. Thanks for your help in advance.
Phil from Arizona
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:59 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLuke View Post
Hello everyone,
I will be hunting deer for the first time with my brother-inlaw near Dodge City in December and need some advice. Could anyone recommend a processor nearby that will do a good job. Can a deer be processed in a day or two? As you can tell I am optimistic on the outcome. Thanks for your help in advance.
Phil from Arizona

Dodge City Kansas? Not much chance of getting it processed in less than a couple weeks that late in the year... I am 2 1/2 hours east of dodge city and just waited two weeks for a deer last month. Best bet is to process it yourself faster and cheaper.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:05 PM

ya a couple of hours and you're all done and know you got your deer. The process is very simple. Plastic wrap, and gallon bags are needed then put inside a big garbage bag inside your cooler and ice it down. Once the meat is in the cooler you have time to to get it to your freezer, a couple of days.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 AM
B&C 180 Class

My processor usually gets my deer back to me within a couple days. I've also used other processors that take 1-2 weeks to get it done. Don't know why?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:57 PM
B&C 120 Class

I take my deer to a low volume processor who will skin it and age it in a cool room for a week.Rigor mortis sets in the first few days and then relaxes,giving more tender meat.The cutting takes place after the meat is tender.The high volume butchers don't have the room or time to handle deer this way.