buck meat - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:54 PM
B&C 120 Class

Default buck meat

Anyone else think buck meat has a different smell to it when they're killed during rut? Or is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 PM

The odor from the hock area will be strong from his urine but the meat will not be any different from any doe that I've shot.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 PM
B&C 120 Class

No joke about the legs stinking. It was terrible. My garage is still airing out. It just seems to have a weird smell to it even now that its in the cooler. And we did everything we usually do. I think he's going to get turned into sausage and hopefully if the taste is a little different the seasonings will hide it.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 PM
B&C 140 Class

they have glands on there rear legs 'the dark spots' when in rut they pee down there legs to get the glands going.they also have glands on there foreheads and they will rub that area on branchs also. Best thing to do with any meat is get it cleaned and on ice ASAP. keep it on ice with drain plug open let it drain until the water runs clear. Once all the blood is out process it. Usually takes about 3-4 days
Old 11-09-2012, 08:54 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansasdoe View Post
No joke about the legs stinking. It was terrible. My garage is still airing out. It just seems to have a weird smell to it even now that its in the cooler. And we did everything we usually do. I think he's going to get turned into sausage and hopefully if the taste is a little different the seasonings will hide it.
you did remove the hock area right? did you cut into one?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:29 PM
B&C 120 Class

I didn't think we cut into one but its possible.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:58 PM

I do like to cut the hocks off after gutting the deer. I just finished grinding my PA buck and it will taste just like the Michigan deer in the freezer. As long as no stomach juice or the bladder is spilled on the meat it should be fine. I assume you got it chilled down pretty quickly? About the only thing I like to do is bucket the body cavity of excess blood after it has been hung up.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:52 PM

I hate the stankiness of a ripe buck. My old man says to soak the meat in salt water to get all the blood and gaminess out or something like that. Sometimes I will take the tougher, gamier meat and slice thin then crock pot it with French Onion Soup mix. The end result is like a roast beef type deal.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 AM
B&C 100 Class

The Tarsal gland on the hind legs are what they urinate on into a scrape. They'll turn black the further they are into the rut. When someone kills a buck I cut them off and tie them to my boots when walking to stand and then hang them. I have never noticed a foul odor on the meat after skinning.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:17 AM
B&C 180 Class

take a dish towel and put some VICKS rub on it and put it around your face like a bank robber does- this helps.

- I once shot a button buck that I thought was a doe right at dark and when I went and got him, I grabbed him by the back leg and drug him up a hill. At the top, I whipped my forehead off and smelled his strong scent- even as a button. That's when I knew I had NO doe.