The Potential for Ricochet Shots - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:10 PM
B&C 180 Class

I'm fortunate enough to have my own hunting spot where no one else hunts. Occasionally I'll take a buddy, but it's rare. I don't want to be selfish, I just don't trust alot of people with guns in their hands. I only take and/or allow people who I trust.
I have never hunting public property and more than likely never will.
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 03:54 AM
B&C 100 Class

Maybe one day, if I get my ducks in a row, you might take "me" there, Tator?
(That would be a REAL priviledge!)

-Soupy1957
Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 AM
B&C 180 Class

Anytime!

This past weekend Missouri had the "youth portion" of deer season. This is something that I am not in favor of for many reasons. Now, before everyone gets upset with me, hear me out. I am NOT saying having a youth portion is a bad thing- I think it's great. But Missouri hosts their's the weekend before regular firearms season. To me, this is unfair to all those hunters who do not have kids, whose kids do not hunt, or kids are too young to hunt. I fall in the last category, my kids are too young to hunt.

Here's my beef. All those adults pay good money to have a food plot or work their land constantly all year long only to have the neighbor kid shoot the prize buck a weekend before. Now, granted, I realize bow season goes all the way up until firearms season, but sometimes on that mature buck, they just never come in close for a bow-kill.

To me it's not right and not fair. I believe the youth season should be the weekend AFTER the regular firearms season.

I understand them wanting kids to be able to see more deer and yes, they will DEFINITELY see deer the weekend before regular season b/c the rut is already in effect (starting phase). But what are we teaching kids? That every time you go hunting you're going to see deer? To me that's not right. We need to teach them that hunting requires patience and hard work.

Don't even get me started on how many "dad's" out there do the shooting for their son/daughter. One word, unethical.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:09 AM
B&C 100 Class

Sure nice of you to be willing Tator. The chances however, of me getting out to (where are you?) Missouri are pretty slim. Would LOVE to though. I know I could learn a LOT from you!!

I'll just be happy to get the Scope mounted correctly on my gun!! (lol)

-Soupy1957
Old 11-07-2012, 05:49 AM

it would depend where I hunt
our area the amount of hunter has dropped dramaticly
you may only see a couple hunters in town where as years ago you would need to be at your spot by 3AM & like others stated I know the land I hunt very well & is loaded with hills & valleys so I try to always take the high point & shoot downward
we can walk you through the scope mounting if need be LOL

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 11-08-2012, 02:49 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdeputy2 View Post
it would depend where I hunt
our area the amount of hunter has dropped dramaticly
you may only see a couple hunters in town where as years ago you would need to be at your spot by 3AM & like others stated I know the land I hunt very well & is loaded with hills & valleys so I try to always take the high point & shoot downward
we can walk you through the scope mounting if need be LOL

Wonder why there has been a reduction of hunters in your area? Suppose the number of deer/elk/moose/caribou have thinned out?

To get back on topic, when there is a good grove of trees, I'd want to find a more "open area" to avoid any potential for ricochet, but what I DON'T know, is if hunting in a clearing is more likely to produce more wildlife visits in that area, even if it DOES help with reducing the chance of ricochet.

(As for the Scope mounting; I'm assuming, remove the screws, place the base, place the rings and scope, adjust forward and back for head position and eye clearance, go to the range and adjust for windage and elevation).

-Soupy1957
Old 11-08-2012, 05:58 AM

make sure all screws are tight when you set in the scope make sure your crosshairs are straight & the elevation knob is on top & windage is on the side
if you have accesss to a bore sight kit use it before the range I have a cheap BSA kit & works well it will get you on paper so you are not chasing rounds
not really sure why the hunters we don't have as many hunters we are in a good area good bucks usually taken every year (Not compolaining )
I think it is because it is a hard area to hunt & lot of hunters nowaday's want it to be easy

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 11-08-2012, 08:55 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
Anytime!

This past weekend Missouri had the "youth portion" of deer season. This is something that I am not in favor of for many reasons. Now, before everyone gets upset with me, hear me out. I am NOT saying having a youth portion is a bad thing- I think it's great. But Missouri hosts their's the weekend before regular firearms season. To me, this is unfair to all those hunters who do not have kids, whose kids do not hunt, or kids are too young to hunt. I fall in the last category, my kids are too young to hunt.

Here's my beef. All those adults pay good money to have a food plot or work their land constantly all year long only to have the neighbor kid shoot the prize buck a weekend before. Now, granted, I realize bow season goes all the way up until firearms season, but sometimes on that mature buck, they just never come in close for a bow-kill.

To me it's not right and not fair. I believe the youth season should be the weekend AFTER the regular firearms season.

I understand them wanting kids to be able to see more deer and yes, they will DEFINITELY see deer the weekend before regular season b/c the rut is already in effect (starting phase). But what are we teaching kids? That every time you go hunting you're going to see deer? To me that's not right. We need to teach them that hunting requires patience and hard work.

Don't even get me started on how many "dad's" out there do the shooting for their son/daughter. One word, unethical.
I agree that it is unethical for the dads to do the shooting but have a bit different take on timing of the youth hunts. Here in Kansas youth season this year was SEp8- Sep 15 Bow season opened on sep 16 and rile opens on Nov 28-Dec9 My 13 yr old got a nice Doe on Sept 8 and my 12 year old got a GREAT 9 point on Sep15 NOw I worked our land for three years and hunt heavy and never had a shooter buck give me a shot. Now maybe my thoughts are tainted because it is MY sons who benefitted but its just like fishing in my thoughts if you take a young one and the fish dont bite they lose interest. Well we all know late season after the deer have been hunted they are jumpy and go nocturnal. I like Kids hunting first let them see calm relaxed deer and get to shoot. This gets them hooked and gives them a reason to work through the hard hunts later. We need the next generation to be hunters to maintain this sport, if we make them get in line and hnt after we scare the deer and they sit in the cold with out seeing deer they will RUN back to the video game letting a wonderful way of life fade slowly into oblivion.

Just my thoughts
Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 AM
B&C 180 Class

Whodat
with all due respect, I completely agree and like your state's youth portion laws, but they are very different from Missouri.
My point is this, having the youth portion the weekend before firearms season (Missouri holds their firearms season during the main RUT period of November) makes it unfair to all the hunters who have put in hours and hours and days of hard work and labor. That's all I'm saying. I realize it's very nice to allow kids the opportunity and YES I'll be taking my kids too even if it is the weekend before the "rut" typically begins. I like how KS does it b/c they have it in September.
I'd even be ok with it if it was 2 weekends before the firearms season. There are many hunters around here that say having the youth "open" up the season scares all the deer and spooks them too. So they're not only killing many of the giants, they are spooking everything else that's left.

Just my opinion- don't get me wrong, I think it's great that kids get to hunt and get these big bucks, but I feel bad for those guys who put in all that time and effort only to be left with nothing but 2 1/2 year old bucks and a ton of does.

Here's another thought---- I've yet to see a kid that is more happy to shoot a buck over a doe. They are ALWAYS equally happy and thrilled. Why not make the youth portion a doe-only season?

Maybe I'm wrong about this- and maybe one day I'll change my mind- it's happened before. But as of right now, I don't think it's right.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:18 PM
B&C 100 Class

As I look with hindsight (20/20) into my own history, I would have liked it if "hunting" was part of my passage to manhood. I was surrounded by hunters, and had a number of them in my own family. Don't know why it was never brought to my attention directly. It was a situation where the "men" went on a hunt, and we "boys" were left at home.

There WERE other ways in which we "boys" were encouraged in self-reliance and self-preservation however. For that I am thankful.

To have the "boys" along with the "men" then, is my own way of thinking of things. I'd cherish the opportunity to take the "boys" along (when they are "ready" - which can be at different ages, depending on the "boy") and I look forward to doing that with my grandsons!

It doesn't mean (imho) that the "men" can't hunt during the time the "boys" are along. In fact, I'm perfectly "ok" with having anyone who is Licensed taking the shot, regardless of age. In fact, if the "man" is willing to do it, I think he should give the "boy" the first shot. The "boys" won't be with them on EVERY trip, and there is a time when they go hunting on their own when they get older, so enjoy it now, together.

That said, the term "boy" does not exclusively mean "male" by the way. I'm no chauvinist!

My wife and I had two girls, one of which would "not want to kill bambi," and the other that would be perfectly fine with it. If my wife had not asked me to remove the guns from the house, in deference to small children, I would have taught them how to handle a weapon, respect a weapon, and shoot a weapon. The next step would have been the Firing Range, and then the woods. But alas, that was not to be.

-Soupy1957