Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Campfire (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/)
-   -   Hunting 101 (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/10050-hunting-101-a.html)

Bluebonnet 10-03-2012 12:07 PM

Hunting 101

:confused:I'm in the Houston, Hearn, Texas area and am looking for a deer hunting 101 class for 7 or more adults. We are totally inexperienced but would love to learn to hunt...Any ideas on where or who at an affordable price?:confused:

tator 10-03-2012 12:15 PM

I would contact your conservation agent and see if there are any hunter safety courses available around your area. Typically, this time of year, there are hunter ed courses being taught just about everywhere.
As far as learning about whitetails, I would find an experienced hunter and have him/her come talk to your group about hunting - that would be the best way.

Bluebonnet 10-03-2012 12:29 PM

Thanks Tator, we are about to sign up for a hunting class (it's required before you can get a hunting license) with Texas Parks and wildlife, however after that we need someone to teach us how to actually hunt. You're correct what we need is an experienced hunter...any idea on how to find one?

gfdeputy2 10-03-2012 12:51 PM

I agree with tator
I would ask around your local bow, gun or sporting good shops
do you have to go to a check in station for deer isf so another good spot

tator 10-09-2012 10:56 AM

I agree with GFD... Just ask around. Make sure you find someone that is ethical and who knows the laws in your area. Just like in anything,,, there are hunters out there who "play the system" and never get caught. That's who you want to stay away from.

What exactly are you wanting to know? Maybe some of us on here could help you all out. Maybe give us a list of questions and we can all help and answer them.

scribe 10-11-2012 02:22 AM

If you can find it, maybe online, try and get a book titled "Bowhunting Whitetail Deer" by John L. Sloan. Althought it is about bowhunting, everything except the equipment parts would apply to gun hunting. It was published in 1995, but you may still be able to get some copies.

You may also go to Stoney Wolf videos and get Secret World Of Whitetail Hunting. I think you will find that informative as well.

Hunting Man 10-11-2012 09:58 AM

There are a lot of good books out there. However, nothing beats the experience of failure to teach us what not to do. Getting out in the woods and watching nature and how it all comes together is the best way to learn. Every hunter does something slightly different and believes that is the best way. Read as much as you can, ask questions, like here, then get in the woods. At some time most hunters separate into meat hunters or trophy hunters Each group hunts differently. If you opt for using guiding services you hunt differently. Bow, rifle, shotgun, each weapon requires slightly different tactics. The best thing is you have a group of friends to enjoy hunting together. Learn to work together as a team, your enjoyment level will be much greater as will the memories too. There is a ton of good advice right here with all the members experience.