Deer Hunting Forums banner

Season off to good start

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  scribe 
#1 ·
I guess my season is going nicely. I have been to the woods three times and have two deer and a turkey in the freezer. I have also found a new dandy of a broadhead. I used a 100-gr NAP Killzone to kill alll three. I mean, I used the same head, same arrow for two deer and the gobbler. And , it is still shaving sharp. The entrance and exit holes are huge and the blood trail massive. They are also pricey as all get out.

If it will help, both deer were feeding on white oaks and persimons. Both were killed between 5 and 6 in the evening. I shot a small doe and the gobbler just about 40-minutes apart from the same stand. As you can see, I am a big believer in camouflage. The stand for this double is 8' off the ground.

Hope all is going well for all of you.

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats Mr. scribe that's a great evening in the woods right there. I wish they would give up some turkey tags in my county, I have the damn things all over me. Had five big Toms come by Saturday morning and just had to watch them go on by.

#6 ·
I have killed three so far this year. Distances were 32-31-22. The farthest I have ever killed one with a crossbow is 36. Range no greater than a compound, maybe not as far in terms of trajectory.

If I had a choice, I wouold still be shooting a compound. However, I have no right shoulder. The Xbow allows me to still bowhunt even if it is a royal pain to lug around and is impossible to shoot hard right or hard left.

#8 ·
The count is now four deer and two turkeys. Had a cold spell and the deer moved well. Thelast deer I shot I had a high entrance and low exit. many times, you get little blood in that situation. Fortunately, I had plenty. I love these new NAP Killzone broadheads...except for the price :unsure: Thirsty yard shot and she ran 50-yards. Fell wihtin sight of the truck and a stream of blood all the way. Good morning all arouond. I was in the stand 90-minutues.

#12 ·
Update

The count is now five. Let two small bucks walk this morning and could not get two does inside my 40.

Another cold spell this weekend so, I am going to wait for that, Got a couple stands that haven;t been hunted yet. Just about time for them and some rattling.

or...I might see if I can still ride bulls. This was Alexandria, LA back in the early 60's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.