Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Campfire (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/)
-   -   New Rifle ! (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/10028-new-rifle.html)

Scorpion8 09-24-2012 03:54 PM

New Rifle !

For as long as I';ve been hunting and buying rifles, I've never owned a Remington center-fire rifle. Well, that has changed. I picked up a Remington Model 7 (synthetic stock) in 7mm-08. I already have a Leupold VX-II 3x9x40 to add on and this should be a great compact Blacktail deer rifle. I would have liked it in stainless steel, but the matte-blued finish is very nice.

Already decided that I have to have another in .308 Winchester too....

Hunting Man 09-24-2012 04:26 PM

Remington products, past ones anyway, have dollar for dollar been hard to beat. I still have several Remington firearms. The Model 700 Mountain rifle in 270 win I have is one of the very best user friendly rifles I own. 760 pump in 30-06, couple of 870's, 1100, the 30-06 I just re-done a few weeks ago. I can't say what the newer low budget stuff that Remington has put out is junk but the reviews here have not been too good. I haven't had one of the model 7's but the reports from owners have been top notched for a light weight rifle.

Scorpion8 09-24-2012 05:16 PM

For a new rifle the action is slick as glass. The new Type-X trigger is crisp and breaks very nicely. Basically a short-action Model 700 and for a compact rifle this one seems to fit the bill sweetly.

onehorse 09-24-2012 07:55 PM

I've used all models of Remington during 50 something years of hunting, and they have all been great - except for the 742 which had a flaw in the action design. I also own a Model Seven as it fits me just right. This gun is in 300SWM, and it bites a little on the shoulder. I have shot a one inch group at 300 yards with this rifle (Ok, I was a little lucky.) You might want to keep an eye on the recoil pad. My original (R3) melted after three years. Remington and Limbsaver will replace it for free, but I think the newer rifles have the SuperCell recoil pad which is a different rubber compound than the R3. Good luck with your new rifle. It's definitely a keeper... and a shooter!

Hunting Man 09-24-2012 10:42 PM

No doubt that heavy hitting calibers would give a stout recoil in a lightweight rifle. Model 7 in 280 rem, sounds like a good marriage to me. I was disappointed when my son sold his/my 260 rem in a Browning A-bolt. The model 7 in 260 would make a mild recoil whitetail machine shooting 140 gr bullets.

Scorpion8 09-24-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunting Man (Post 72292)
The model 7 in 260 would make a mild recoil whitetail machine shooting 140 gr bullets.

Exactly why I wanted this one. I am a big fan of 7mm's, owning two 7x57's and one 7mm RemMag. But they are all "long" actions and I wanted a 7mm in a short action w/o magnum recoil. 7mm RSAUM is impossible to find here, so I would be forced to reload.

I also own and reload for the 6.5x55 so the .260 Rem was another option, but my favorite 7mm won out again.

I can compare this against my Win Model70 SA Compact in .308.

gfdeputy2 09-25-2012 03:46 AM

Congrats on the new rifle hope you put it to good use & put down some nice deer