how do i get deer in bow range - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 08-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Scrub Buck

Default how do i get deer in bow range

hey i am new to bow hunting done it for 2 years now but i cant seem to get them in bow range any sugestions on what i should do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 12:15 AM
B&C 100 Class

Biggest thing is improving your shooting so you can comfortably shoot 30-40 yards (gives you more chances at shooting a deer). The next biggest thing is to set up your stands to take advantage of the most common wind direction.

Few other tips:

1. If you are hunting woods, try to find stands of oak trees that are dropping a good deal of acorns. Place your stand in the feeding area or between it and a bedding area.

2. If you are hunting fields, see where the deer are coming into the field and place a stand 10-15yrds away from the entry point or near where they feed once they get into the field.

3. Depending on the time of season, use decoys and scents (...and to a lesser extent calls) to make them curious and bring them into your shooting range.

Good Luck!!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:12 AM
B&C 180 Class

The use of trail cameras can also help.

Check if your state/area allows mineral licks... they can help as well.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:15 PM

In your case as well as all hunters, experience does matter. So don't beat yourself up for limited success so far. I think that proper scent control is the single most important issue to start with. If you are sweating going into your stand then the deer will pick you out downwind every time. Start by washing all your hunting clothes in a scent free product. Locate a stand location where a couple of well used trails merge. Set your stand off to the side of the two merging trails hopefully on the down wind side. I set my stands with regard to the sun, always keeping my back to the sun. These trails should have prints heading both directions, indicating you have found a stand between bedding and feeding areas. If you have pine trees crush some needles in your hand and rub the pine scent on your camo clothes it will help cover your scent. Patience is the key. Scouting is a must. Practice will get you ready for the shot when it happens. Know your comfort kill range and stick with it. Wait for a broadside shot to get a double lung hit. Try to locate a seasoned hunter to buddy up with and your success with raise. Good luck!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:28 PM
B&C 140 Class

Be very very quite !!! Lo
l no but really in my experience I feel I need to be 20 foot minumum up in a tree with my bow and mostly use climbers about 20 yards off good hot trails heading to food or water. Like this year for my area we are lacking in rain so my hot spot stands are all going to be near ponds for my early bow season here in a few weeks. I guess people do hunt on top of food or water but myself prefer to hunt around 50 yards from them. I've seen many times many trails leading into one within the last 20 yards to those sources. Good Luck