Interesting... - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 08-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Scrub Buck

Lightbulb Interesting...

I've been practicing with my first bow for about 2 months now. The bow was a gift for my birthday, so naturally, I haven't been out to buy much for it. I have been using my boyfriend's release the whole time, until now. I bought my own new release - the Scott Archery Cougar in a small size. Using this new release, my shots were suddenly very high! As we scratched our heads thinking, he tells me to use his release for one more shot, and it was dead on!

....The new release made my shot placement different? Just out of curiosity, can anyone tell me the mechanics of how this happened? So weird!!

PS: We adjusted the sights to the new release--got my old groupings back...panic averted. Word to the wise, don't change your release in the middle of the season! I'm glad I changed now before it was too late and I messed everything up lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 PM

I guess it would depend on whether you change styles and how the new release set in your hand. I can only surmize that the release point was slightly different???? I prefer smaller releases with small jaws also.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:50 AM

I would have to agree with HM I have two different releases one is a little fatter in my hand & it does change a little but very little so I could see it happening also if it is a different length it can change your point of aim

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 08-13-2012, 09:37 PM
B&C 100 Class

the different straps and whatnot actually change your drawlength just enough to change your anchor point. you might feel its the same but its off a bit. i had the same problem a couple years ago. now a shoot a 4finger T release
Old 08-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Scrub Buck

Different releases may alter your anchor point a lilttle unless, they are similar in design. I'm not sure but I have heard that newer releases that have smaller jaws can improve speed , so thats probably why you were hitting a little high. Oh yea good call on getting a Scott release I had one for about ten years and passed it on to my buddy and he is still using it now.