any bow suggestions? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 06-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Scrub Buck

Default any bow suggestions?

a sporting goods store not to far from my house is having a sale on all their bows except this year models. i do desperately need a new bow but im not sure what one to get. my price range is gonna be somewhere in the neighborhood of 500-600 dollars. the last year model bows and the other older bows will be starting at 50 percent off. so i know i can find a damn good bow for a good price!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 12:43 PM
B&C 160 Class

Ithink you have alot of good choices these days.In that price range shoot a bunch and forget the name.One of them will feel right,make sure you like the grip& draw.Hoyt,Diamond,PSE,etc all good bows.In that range my choice would be a Hoyt rampage also they have great customer service and this comes from a Mathews shooter.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Scrub Buck

thanks spiker, i will take that into consideration. i will definitely shoot a few and see which one stands out most to me. but yeah i just want opinions from others. i've been shooting a hand-me-down bow for the last 7 years. i have killed alot of deer with it and its very forgiving. however i wanna take my game to the next level. i dont shoot much over 20 with that bow and passed up a ten point because it was at 35 yards away :/ and its very bulky so getting around with it sucks.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:07 PM
B&C 100 Class

i'm a hoyt shooter but my friend got a mathews z7 last year and i almost sold my car to buy one. haha. its the smoothest boy ive ever shot, and i shoot bow demos every year. its got a good balance between being short and being stable. the back wall is as solid as ive found and the grip sits in my palm like it was meant to be. if you're looking to spend a hair less, i'd recommend the PSE Dream Season series bows as well as the PSE Brute. theyre fairly quick but also have a higher brace height which makes them more forgiving. you really cant go wrong these days. everyone has stepped up their game considerably and im confident you'll come out ecstatic. i would definitely get a drop away rest though. absolute neccissity in my book.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:23 PM

Diamond bows are a great bow without the big $$$$. My son and I both shoot Diamond bows after Mathews bows and we really like them. Light, smoothe, easy draw, and plenty fast.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Scrub Buck

thanks for all the considerate input, i will no doubt test out a few bows and pick the best. i will take that matthews z7 into consideration for sure as well. and yeah everyone really has stepped up their game these days! i totally agree.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:14 AM
ValleyArcher

Default go trad

i've shot plenty of compound's and nothing feels quite as right as the traditional gear. like an old recurve or longbow. but to each their own. i think that with trad stuff you become a better hunter and a better all around shooter in general. What ever you choose hope your arrows fly straight for ya. ~valley
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:48 AM

my opinion not much difference in any top name brand bows
the bows are so close it comes down to what is comfortable to you
I myself shoot Hoyt because that is what felt best to me
Spiker mentioned the Hoyt Rampage it is a great bow I shoot the Rampage XT. I would not pass on trying it out I thought it was priced well (I paid $600 last year for mine) is fast, smooth, fairly light 4.0lbs bare bow. it is a pleasure to shoot
but like I said it will mostly come down to what you think feels the best
dont worry about the name game

well just noticed when this was posted so you prob already got one
To early & not enough coffee

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright