Bow Hunting Help - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Scrub Buck

Exclamation Bow Hunting Help

Hi Ė

Next month Iíll be participating in drafting bow hunting policies for a municipality that never allowed hunting before. Since I donít hunt myself and donít know anybody who does, Iím reaching out to folks in various places. One place being the internet. I want to be able to put myself in a bow hunterís shoes and also understand what hunting policies you are up against. Hunting is very foreign to me, so it would help me if you can explain bow hunting to me in regards to:

1) How you bow hunt
2) Bow hunting strategies
3) Mentality of a bow hunter
4) Regulations/Policies you encounter that you like and dislike
5) All the equipment you use
6) The procedures for applying for a permit (describe the process, what you like and didnít like about the process)
7) What kind of policies would you draft or not draft for bow hunting

8) How many people can bow hunt safely per acre
9) Anything else I missed worth mentioning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 05:55 AM

umm, anyone in the writing mood?? That would take considerable time to put together.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:29 AM
B&C 120 Class

HI Hunting: As HM said, this would take A LOT of answering on the part of one of us, and at the end yes, you would gain some insights as to how to go about installing your program, but in the end you would have a lot of varying personal opinions. My suggestion is for you to contact the village administrator of the town of Mt. Vernon, Illinois. This town lies in the heart of one of the most active deer hunting areas in the state. It is in Jefferson County which is always in the top 3 or 4 counties in the whole state for deer harvest numbers. From what I've been told, they instituted a deer reduction program in(I believe) 2010 in order to deal with a large over abundance of deer within the urban confines of the town. They are issuing special permit archery tags to interested hunters and have designated areas. This is all I know about it, and this was second hand info, so contact the village adm. and see what they have going, at least it would be a good place to start.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:23 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlightfield View Post
HI Hunting: As HM said, this would take A LOT of answering on the part of one of us, and at the end yes, you would gain some insights as to how to go about installing your program, but in the end you would have a lot of varying personal opinions. My suggestion is for you to contact the village administrator of the town of Mt. Vernon, Illinois. This town lies in the heart of one of the most active deer hunting areas in the state. It is in Jefferson County which is always in the top 3 or 4 counties in the whole state for deer harvest numbers. From what I've been told, they instituted a deer reduction program in(I believe) 2010 in order to deal with a large over abundance of deer within the urban confines of the town. They are issuing special permit archery tags to interested hunters and have designated areas. This is all I know about it, and this was second hand info, so contact the village adm. and see what they have going, at least it would be a good place to start.
OK, like I said, second hand info. I just looked at Mt. Vernon's website and it says that as of Nov. 1 2011 the council called a meeting to discuss adopting a highly monitored bow hunting season within the city limits. My guess is that they probably have some outline of how they will conduct this reduction, I would contact the village adm. anyway. My guess is that they will adopt a regulated bow season for 2012, given how prevalent deer hunting is there in that area. Hope this helps.