Deer Hunting Forums banner

need a tough target

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Chip Cochran 
#1 ·
Well the title says it all. We need a tough target. With three of us practicing on one target it takes no time to ruin one. In three weeks were already having pass throughs on our new Morrell bag target. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Yes I do..

I cant remember the name of the material this is made of or what they call them. Ive had it several years and still no pass throughs.

Its ugly though. Its prob a 2 1/2 feet by 2 1/2 feet block of the material they use on carpet backing. I bought mine from a bow shop in Chattanooga, TN. I painted my own bulls eye targets on there.

You can also try one of these. Heard they are tough as well. Rinehart Targets | 18-1 Guaranteed for a full year!

The reason the 18-1 would appeal to me over the carpet backing blob is because its probably a lot lighter and easier to move around. When I move mine I use to back my truck up to it and load it. Now I just leave it in the yard year round. Go sick of trying to get it out of the rain. (but with that being said its held up great in the weather too)

#5 ·
cheap target

well im kind of a cheap skate when it comes to targets, so this is just what I do, you may have heard of this idea.
I go to our local feed mill and get 2 100 lb plastic feed bags, they charge 90 cents a piece for them, turn them inside out so the outside is white with no writing on it.
go through your closet and take all the old clothes you dont wear anymore and pack it into the bag. sew up the top and draw on your bull's eye's.
I shoot almost every day, atleast 50 shot's a day, and have never had a arrow pass through the target, when it get's really full of hole's just take the same clothes out of the old and put them in the new bags.
I shoot at 70 lbs and as close as 10 yd's.
works great and is cheap as hell..!! lol
one note...dont plan on shooting with broad heads, you can get them out but it's a pain in the a**.

works for me..

#9 ·
Honestly there's alot of stray cats in our neighborhood that id love to use as targets but I don't think the city would like it. My neighbors would love me though. We've had around 20 or so cats turned loose by my neighbors daughter when he went to the nursing home. They're making a MESS!
Here kitty kitty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.