back tension release - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 PM
B&C 160 Class

Sorry scribe you are right the average archer when hunting is better off with a hand held index finger release.Also is does take alot of disicipline to ingrain your shot sequence to go on automatic.Once ingrained with daily practice you keep it sharp just like a golfer keeps his swing form.It is a great feeling with the bow to be totally free to aim at the moment of truth but again its a process.Most archers find it like myself after expierencing target panic and looking for a solution to it.And scribe if you lost six arrows you know the feeling of a surprise release but it could have been worse you also could've punched yourself in the mouth if it was a hinge release.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 06:38 AM
B&C 120 Class

I started thinking about it and felt I should get serious. A back tension release is used primarily to cure or at least help with target panic. Since I have never experienced this and being a finger shooter, I never saw a need for one.

I worked closely with a young man who had a terrible case of it. He got a back tension video that I made hinm throw away and we started working. First I had him shooting at a cotton bale at 3 yards with his eyes closed. For two weeks, that is all he did, concentrating on using his back muscles. I was slowly able to work him up to shooting 2" dots at 20-yards and he progressed from there. It took three months, shooting five days a week, from 20-40 times a day to get him to normal and once he was there, he went back to the regular style. As far as I know, he has never had a prblem since.

In my experience, target panic only occurs in people who shoot targets a lot. By a lot, I mean up to 50X a day. The problem being, you over concentrate and then start second guessing. This is all done subconciously. When I was testing bows, I often shot 100X a day but accuracy was not a big thing so I was never bothered. My job was to simply evaluate overall performance, not accuracy since that is the human end of things.

Just for testing, I shot a tension release for a couple weeks and could see the advantage of it for a target archer with a chance or case of TP. For hunting, I felt it was a handicap and required far more time than the average hunter has to spend shooting. I am a uge advocate of KISS.

That is all I was trying to point out. In testing and evaluating archery products for so many years, I often was troubled with the "building the better mousetrap" syndrome. For example, except for testing purposes and with only the hunter in mind, I never shot a release, used a stabilizer, trued a peep, saw a need for more than two sight pins or had any desire to shoot the fastest bow on the block. But I was soley a hunter, concerned only with hitting a softball size target and with no concern for a tight group. I only wanted my first shot to hit where I aimed every time.

Over the years, I coached or taught scores of men and women to shoot a bow. I taught them my style and let them proceed from there. Almost every one eventually had a release, a sight with 100 pins, a variety of stabilizers, peep sights, the fastest bow made and trouble killing deer.

The day I finally admited I had to go to a crossbow, I actually cried. The bow I hung up, had one pin-set dead on at 25-yards, no peep and shot a blistering 256fps. The last animal I killed was a fair bull elk at 45 yards. My 125gr. Thunderhead hit right where I aimed. In five years, I have missed more deer with a crossbow than I did in three decades with a vertical. Guess I'm just not a techie. My wife and I estimate I have killed around 300 animals with a bow. I won one tournament and that was because nobody else could shoot. I have never been a 12-ring shooter. However, I was perfectly comfortable taking a running shot if the conditions were right. I can't recall ever trying to stop a deer or any animal that not going faster than a trot. I saw no need to and still don't, even with that cussed X-bow. Obviously, for me, a back tension release was a severe handicap.

Final word on the back tension thing. If you are not having trouble with your current setup, why change? If you have TP, go for it.

Last edited by scribe; 01-11-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 AM
B&C 120 Class

Scribe what's kiss?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:02 AM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansasdoe View Post
Scribe what's kiss?
Keep It Simple Stupid....KISS. I believe the less equipment you have on your bow, the less you have to lose, drop, forget or have malfuntion.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:23 AM
B&C 180 Class

I prefer JSTSB, personally...
Old 01-11-2012, 11:09 AM
B&C 140 Class

(just shoot the sona $&@$!) haha ive said that one a time or two myself Tator !
Old 01-11-2012, 01:37 PM
B&C 120 Class

Choot Elizabeth Choot! That says it all.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:47 PM
B&C 120 Class

You guys are hilarious!
Old 01-11-2012, 01:52 PM
B&C 180 Class

Actually I was going for "Just Shoot The Stupid Bow"! lol
Old 01-11-2012, 03:50 PM
B&C 160 Class

Obviously Scribe you are an accomplished archer with many kills and i agree if it aint broke dont fix it.However every archer should develop some form of a shot sequence with the goal of his form being repeatable shot after shot.Al Henderson said is doesnt have to be right as long as its repeatable.