what arrows do I need? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 12-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Scrub Buck

Default what arrows do I need?

I just got a outlaw with 26.5' draw length and want to deer hunt and field practice so what broadheads and arrows should I get and does a bow come with a string release and if no what one for it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 09:51 PM
B&C 140 Class

Congrats on the purchase !
1. The arrows, the most common would be to get carbon arrows that match your bows poundage range. 45/60, 60/70
2.target tips, well if your shooting 60 lbs I'd recommend 100 grain tips, and of corse you would also need same grain in a broad head. Those, well you'll just have to find what your bow likes and will shoot true.
3. The release, bows don't come with a release setup as far as what you'll need is to add a (D- loop), it might be best to take it to a bow shop and let them put it on for you, it will take about a minute or you can buy the D- loop string and there are many many YouTube videos on how to tie them on. ( they are easy)
Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Scrub Buck

thanks for the help on the fly, your replies sure have helped me.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:46 PM

Arrow weight depends on your specific draw length and bow draw weight. This is one area not to make a mistake on the light side. I would take your bow to something like Bass Pro, Cabela's, Dick's sporting goods and have them show you several carbon arrows that will fit your needs. Broad heads like said above are something you just have to test for yourself. The upper class ones are expensive look for after season sales. Using a D-loop and a release will in most cases improve your shot groups considerably. I like a release that is made for loop shooting. I also like small jaw releases that are adjustable in length and most are adjustable in release pressure,. Don't set it too low or bad things will happen.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:19 AM
B&C 140 Class

Glad to try n help Forman, I'm not the most knowlage able one on here but do have many years shooting bows, you said you were 17 I think so I was tring to keep it non technical n simple.
Yeah you don't want to run in Walmart and buy arrows an start shooting. ( but you could if you wanted, just better to get every thing fitted up right) Those arrows are great and that's what I shoot(carbon hunters) but when you buy them from places like that, your buying a full leingth 30" arrow. I have a arrow saw and insert glue to shorten them to fit my bow. If your shooting a 26 1/2 draw then you can/need to take 2 to 2 1/2 off of the 30" shaft and be shooting like a 27 1/2 to 28 " arrows. this is why you would need to take your bow and arrows or take your bow to a local shop to buy arrows or have yours cut. After they help you figure all that out from then on you wouldn't need to bring your bow because you'll know how long your shafts need to be.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:10 AM
B&C 180 Class

Yep- Listen to HM and OTF.. those two guys know what they are talking about
Old 12-24-2011, 09:28 AM
B&C 120 Class

As far as arrows the industry is leaning towards carbon right now. I have shot both aluminum and carbon, the only difference I see is carbons flex and alum. bends. There are also a lot of great resources available for selection of arrows check out easton's site or carbon express there is tons of info about arrow selection on there. I would do that first before you head out and speak to someone about arrows then at least you will have and idea what they are talking about. You can also check out archerytalk as well a great site dedicated to the sport of archery. Good Luck!
Old 12-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Scrub Buck

Ive been looking on ebay and would I need size 250 shaft or 350?
Old 12-25-2011, 09:58 AM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman View Post
Ive been looking on ebay and would I need size 250 shaft or 350?
Check the manufactures web sight as I posted previously there are charts and info to help with selection....