picking a bow - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 12-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Scrub Buck

Default picking a bow

I am 17 and 5 9' and 160 pounds, I work out periodically and am in good shape. I have been wanting to get a bow and was looking at the diamond rock, and the diamond razor edge and was wondering if the experienced archer thinks I could handle a 60lb draw weight and the rock. I really would prefer the rock, because I think the edge is used for kids. I am a first time bow hunter and was wondering if you people out there think the 60lb draw weight is enough for me to tackle? and would I be set not to upgrade if I liked bow hunting and got either the rock or razor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 05:50 PM
B&C 140 Class

I don't know the rock but the edge yeah alot of youth may get a start on it but adults as well, that bow is a great bow for the long run for one to grow with 30 to 60 lbs, 19 to 29 inch draw, if you couldn't handle 60 drop down to 50 and build yourself up, I would suggest you try that anyways, 17 is young to be pulling muscles trying to strain yourself. Not saying you can't pull it but to be able to consistently pull.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Scrub Buck

would a razor at 60lbs be effective deer hunting?
Old 12-18-2011, 09:03 PM
B&C 140 Class

Any bow at 60 lbs is more than plenty for deer hunting. 50 lbs is plenty, 40 is ok but not over 20 yards I don't think.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Scrub Buck

My son is 14 and he has the razor. awsome bow, I would recomend it to any young hunter. It is a bow you can grow with, its light and shoots great. It is a well built piece. We have his at about 54 lbs right now. Was set about 47 but once football practice started he got stronger and stronger. Plus alot of practice just shooting in the back yard every day built him up. Right now he feels like he could go the 60 but I like him to be comfortable drawing and holding it. Next year I am sure he will be at 60 no problem. He shot a big doe with it this year like a pro because he practiced like crazy and the shot came as a repetitious instict. If you cant tell I am pretty proud of the hunter he is becoming. He enjoys shooting he enjoys the out doors and just being on stand and seeing the wild life
Old 01-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Scrub Buck

Thumbs up 1st bow

I am 14 i just had the edge it is kinda a youth bow i just got the mission riot its a very good bow smooth draw gonna smack some deer with it late archery weight will go up to 70 lbs so it will go with you im at 55 right now perfect bow!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:11 AM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo68 View Post
My son is 14 and he has the razor. awsome bow, I would recomend it to any young hunter. It is a bow you can grow with, its light and shoots great. It is a well built piece. We have his at about 54 lbs right now. Was set about 47 but once football practice started he got stronger and stronger. Plus alot of practice just shooting in the back yard every day built him up. Right now he feels like he could go the 60 but I like him to be comfortable drawing and holding it. Next year I am sure he will be at 60 no problem. He shot a big doe with it this year like a pro because he practiced like crazy and the shot came as a repetitious instict. If you cant tell I am pretty proud of the hunter he is becoming. He enjoys shooting he enjoys the out doors and just being on stand and seeing the wild life
Thanks so much for your recommendations, I've got a nephew who wants to get a hunting bow for his birthday. I guess this one is gonna match his demands.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:29 AM

You really should have him try out any bow you plan on getting before purchasing feel & fit goes a long way if it doesn't feel right to him he may not enjoy it or his confidence level will drop. I shoot hoyt for one reason the way they fit me. I like a lot of other manufacturers but I like the feel of the hoyt the best.
handle many bows in your price range & try them, shoot a dozen or so arrows. If the shop won't let you (most will) then go somewhere else

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 01-13-2012, 07:30 AM

Diamond bows are great bows for the money, my son and I both have one.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:10 AM
B&C 120 Class

Mathews mission line has really good bows to that aren't overly expensive.