Deer Hunting Forums banner

picking a bow

5K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  roperboy 
#1 ·
I am 17 and 5 9' and 160 pounds, I work out periodically and am in good shape. I have been wanting to get a bow and was looking at the diamond rock, and the diamond razor edge and was wondering if the experienced archer thinks I could handle a 60lb draw weight and the rock. I really would prefer the rock, because I think the edge is used for kids. I am a first time bow hunter and was wondering if you people out there think the 60lb draw weight is enough for me to tackle? and would I be set not to upgrade if I liked bow hunting and got either the rock or razor?

#2 ·
I don't know the rock but the edge yeah alot of youth may get a start on it but adults as well, that bow is a great bow for the long run for one to grow with 30 to 60 lbs, 19 to 29 inch draw, if you couldn't handle 60 drop down to 50 and build yourself up, I would suggest you try that anyways, 17 is young to be pulling muscles trying to strain yourself. Not saying you can't pull it but to be able to consistently pull.

#5 ·
My son is 14 and he has the razor. awsome bow, I would recomend it to any young hunter. It is a bow you can grow with, its light and shoots great. It is a well built piece. We have his at about 54 lbs right now. Was set about 47 but once football practice started he got stronger and stronger. Plus alot of practice just shooting in the back yard every day built him up. Right now he feels like he could go the 60 but I like him to be comfortable drawing and holding it. Next year I am sure he will be at 60 no problem. He shot a big doe with it this year like a pro because he practiced like crazy and the shot came as a repetitious instict. If you cant tell I am pretty proud of the hunter he is becoming. He enjoys shooting he enjoys the out doors and just being on stand and seeing the wild life

#8 ·
You really should have him try out any bow you plan on getting before purchasing feel & fit goes a long way if it doesn't feel right to him he may not enjoy it or his confidence level will drop. I shoot hoyt for one reason the way they fit me. I like a lot of other manufacturers but I like the feel of the hoyt the best.
handle many bows in your price range & try them, shoot a dozen or so arrows. If the shop won't let you (most will) then go somewhere else

#11 ·
At your age and size you should have zero trouble shooting 60# once you start shooting. That is about my size, and when I was your age I hunted with 84#...of course I had been shooting my whole life. Now I am 32 and I mostly hunt with 60# bows, and they are more than enough to kill any deer that ever walked. Don't know much about the Diamond bows though.

#12 · (Edited)
no thats not enough im 14 and can pull 45lb if u only think u can pull 60lb go to a bow store and see how easy it is or hard but by this u should be able to pull a little more than that and for sure pick a diamond rock is a good choise i have one and it never fials me like a bear i bought and it broke and hit my eye

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.