Late season bow hunts - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 12-09-2011, 09:49 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Late season bow hunts

Has anyone been having any success with bowhunting this late in the season? I am going in the morning. Going to be cold!! 19 degrees at daylight!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 06:22 AM
Scrub Buck

I still have a buck tag to fill and plan on hunting this weekend also. good luck to ya
Old 12-10-2011, 12:08 PM
B&C 120 Class

Late season hunting can be great if you change your tactics.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:03 PM
B&C 120 Class

What do you mean by change your tactics? I've got tags left to fill too. I could use some tips. I plan on going out with my bow after the deer have had time to calm down a little after gun season gets over.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:39 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansasdoe View Post
What do you mean by change your tactics? I've got tags left to fill too. I could use some tips. I plan on going out with my bow after the deer have had time to calm down a little after gun season gets over.
By now, the deer have you patterned. If you keep doing what you have been doing, you are not likely to do well.

Deer are hungry. They have gone through a rut period and cold weather has set in. In some areas you have snow. But deer still have to eat. Learn what the preferred food source is right now. If you live in farming country, what fields provide the most nutrition now?

If you have been hunting at first light of the morning, sleep late. Hunt from 10-2. In farm country, move back off the field. Hunt the trails leading to the fields and look especially for staging areas. Hunt them in the late afternoon. Catch the deer before they get to the field. hunt them where they will be while it is still light. Start hunting the thickest of thickets during the day. All but one of my stands are in places I can't see, let alone shoot, over 40 yards. Deer want security now. I saw three does this morning at 11:00 feeding in a small field next to the bank. Look for the unusual and unnexpected places.

28 days past the peak of your last rut, (probably around Dec. 24), you will find a few more does coming into estrus. Give that some thought and watch for it. The bucks are.

If you are in hardwood ridge country, look for slopes that have the most sun on them on cold days. And of course, if you are in parts of AL and other southern states, look for your rut to peak about January 7th.

If the deer are still there, those that are not totally nocturnal are wary. Just do the unexpected.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:47 PM

Saw a real nice buck yesterday bedded watching a few does moving around him. These were in the state park right next to me. Deer here are moving into their winter patterns. Reducing movement to conserve energy demands are built into their system. I agree with the late morning movements right up to dark. Look for what their finding for food. Snow helps locate current travel patterns.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:52 PM
B&C 120 Class

Gun season is over tonight and we didn't get even one tag filled so were gonna have to do some late season bow hunting to fill the freezer. Do you think its worth going out next weekend or wait until the one after so the deer can get back to their normal patterns? There's been alot of hunting pressure and alot of idiots driving through scaring deer. they're still there but mostly at night. We've got a few good pics around lunchtime though
Old 12-11-2011, 07:30 PM
B&C 100 Class

Good luck to you. I plan on heading out next weekend, so they have a chance to settle down.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:57 AM
B&C 100 Class

Went out saturday morning and hunted from daylight til about 10 before I had to leave. I didnt see any deer just several squirrels. I put a camera out a couple weeks ago to see what was still in there after gun season. In 1 week I had almost 600 pics. Several does and buttons, spike, 5 pt, 6 pt, and a basket 8 pt. No more pics of the big boy yet. Muzzleload season in MO opens this coming saturday. I am ready to put some meat in the freezer!! Anyone bow hunt over weekend??