Crossbow Injuries - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 12-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Crossbow Injuries

Doing research on crossbow injuries.
Many hunting forums have postings containing conversations about crossbow injuries. If anyone has experienced a crossbow injury, please take a moment to take a quick survey at;

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Ry1rc29LT2c6MQ

Just the other day at a BassPro in Orlando FL, a 16 year old with his parent went to buy a crossbow. While on the BassPro shooting range the youth fired the Styker crossbow and amputated the top portion of his thumb. This according to the archery department manager. Its just that easy.

Numerous accounts of finger(s) & thumb amputations. A few bolt injuries from strings and or limbs breaking.

This by know means is a "bashing" thread, but for research information. Please serous survey responses.

Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 05:59 AM
B&C 120 Class

I have done a ton of research on them and have done several articles. Most of the reports you read on a forum are pure balderdash. Most injurioes and there are not many are self-inflicted and involve the thumb being hit by the string. There are a few of thiose because you can't cure stupidity. As for mechanical failuers, about the same as with compounds. There are no more hunter on hunter events than there are with traditional equipment.

Two good sources for you: Ohio DNR and the ATA. Contact Vickie Snyder at Ohio, she is a wealth of information. If you want, providing I can find it, I will email you my research info. It will be later today, I am leaving in a few minutes to go kill deer.

js
Old 12-08-2011, 09:55 PM
B&C 140 Class

I checked out the survey, couldnt help thinking how much it looked like a discovery attempt from a lawyer.
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 12-09-2011, 05:12 AM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
I checked out the survey, couldnt help thinking how much it looked like a discovery attempt from a lawyer.

That is exactly what it is. Some manu. is either about to get sued is has been. Either that or it is a state approval fight. However, any lawyer with a week's experience can get that thrown out for lack of validity. There is no way an on-line survey can be deemed accurate because anyone can take it and lie.

Thje smart crossbow manus have started making the forestocks in such way as to prevent thumb injury. TenPoint has theirs made so you can't shoot it with your thumb in the way.

However, as I said, you can't cure stupidity.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Unregistered

Default crossbow thumb injury

Yesterday I cut my thumb half off with my Ten Point crossbow. A few models have the safety feature but most don't. The printed and DVD information that came with the crossbow discussed this "danger" and gave warning but all hunters know the adrenaline that comes at the moment you sight in on your prey. This is a very common mistake and easily made. Not all accident victims are stupid as you put it. Clearly the way crossbows are manufactured, with and with out this necessary safty feature is the "stupid" that should be cured.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:34 PM

Driving a car is dangerous. Flying a plane is dangerous. A cross bow can be dangerous. A hunting knife can be dangerous. A gun can be dangerous. A dog can be dangerous. Why not just stay home indoors and worry about the next dangerous thing that could happen. Worrying can be dangerous. Eating the wrong kind of food can be dangerous. Mowing your lawn can be dangerous. Mr. guest you don't seem the type to be doing things that can be dangerous. However, there are plenty of lawyer sharks to listen to your complaint. Cross bows are safe if used according to the directions, which should be read first. Keep your hands/fingers below the string path and all will be there for the next shot.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yesterday I cut my thumb half off with my Ten Point crossbow. A few models have the safety feature but most don't. The printed and DVD information that came with the crossbow discussed this "danger" and gave warning but all hunters know the adrenaline that comes at the moment you sight in on your prey. This is a very common mistake and easily made. Not all accident victims are stupid as you put it. Clearly the way crossbows are manufactured, with and with out this necessary safty feature is the "stupid" that should be cured.
people also get their fingers crushed, somtimes even severed in automobile doors, what should we do to get the manufacturers to include that little "stupid" safety feature on vehicles ?
I bet there have been more than a 1/2 a million lawsuit attempts on this against so many manufactures (not just against cars/trucks or crossbow manufacturers)
but i would also bet in just about every case not one was ever ruled in favor of the injured person involved.
no single individual is being called stupid but this type of injury is called the stupid act, like "How could I be so stupid to do that like that" and just about every time it happens,
we only have ourselves to blame not the products involved, even if the manufacturers designed some sort of safety feature to prevent certain things from happening
there are still going to be endless types of accidental injuries involved with any mechanical type of product.
now thats just my input on the topic but believe me, i've had many stupid moments in my life.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:26 AM
B&C 160 Class

LAWYERS=
Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
100% right,let them take that BS someplace else.bunch of
Old 03-30-2012, 07:35 PM
B&C 160 Class

When something moves Get out of the way