First Double of the Year - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 12-01-2011, 06:43 PM
B&C 120 Class

Default First Double of the Year

I don't know what your feelings are regardiong cross bows. Can honestly say, I also don't care. After over 30 years of shooting vertical bows and making a living in the archery industry for over 20 years, I was hit with an illness that almost killed me and an injury that destroyed my right shoulder permanently. Ergo, I shoot a crossbow.

As you might guess, it is extremely hard to get one cocked while sitting in a ladder stand. It can be done. I shot these two about 30 seconds apart one afternoon back in Sept. As you can see, I pay close attention to camouflage and wearing rubber boots. These two made numbers 21&22 I had killed from that stand. The total is now 24. I think it is in a pretty good place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 08:08 PM
B&C 140 Class

I like my Horton crossbow, but I'd say your either REALY lucky or those are deer used to loud noises, and you would had to have some good cover caz that's a lot of movement recocking, I know my crossbow is loud ! I've never been able to shoot without everything else running off, so for you to be able to pull off two that's tough an awesome ! Congrats
Old 12-01-2011, 09:51 PM

Great job on the double scribe!! No need to explain yourself about why you use a crossbow..to each his own. I am sorry to hear about your illness/injury and glad to see your still out in the wild doing what you do.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:34 AM
B&C 180 Class

congrats! nice deer there

and i like those black tights you have on! lol,, think i'll stick to my rubber boots and camo
Old 12-02-2011, 08:45 AM

Congrats on your double!!! And there's absolutely nothing wrong with using a crossbow as long as they're legal to use in the areas you're using them in.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:01 PM

I too went to a crossbow this year after too much pain in the neck/shoulder. I would prefer to use the compound but see no issue with the crossbow as it keeps us in the woods! Congrats on the double but the black tights have to go! ha ha! Just Kidding of course.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:12 PM
B&C 120 Class

I would give something shiney to able to shoot a compound again but at least I am still hunting. After battling a pretty persistent illness for four years, I am glad just to be able to go to the woods.

In fact, I think I'll go this afternoon. First a tip. I have two Xbows, a Horton and a TenPoint. The TenPoint has the acudraw. The click of the the ratchet sounds to a deer, I guess like the glotal pulse in a doe bleat. It actually seems to draw deer to you. I have been able to shoot a second and even third time on a half-dozen occasions.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:57 PM

I purchased the Excalibur Vortex. It has a 200 lb draw and with the rope assist is pretty easy even with the neck/shoulder pain. In fact Monday I go in for a third injection followed on the 20th for a 4th. These are not for the faint hearted, they hurt! However, the last series lasted about 4 months of eased up pain. At $2800.00/shot they better do something. I can still draw the compound and shoot pretty well it's the practice that gets me. I can only shoot about 6 arrows at a time, two/three times a week. The titainium in my neck tells me every time there's a weather change coming!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:44 PM
B&C 140 Class

I was looking at the pse tac, that is one sweet crossbow!! Built in cocking system, there is a YouTube video of it hammering bolts at 100 yards dead on. But the down fall is this is only for people with more money than me with a price tag of bare starting at 1,700.oo and used around 1,200.oo, I don't think my wife would be too happy if I sold her truck so I could buy this
Old 12-02-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
Great job on the double scribe!! No need to explain yourself about why you use a crossbow..to each his own. I am sorry to hear about your illness/injury and glad to see your still out in the wild doing what you do.
I can 2nd this post.. Congrats on the double..