"New-to-me" stand - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 10-28-2007, 05:40 AM
Scrub Buck

Exclamation "New-to-me" stand

hey guys, i just bought a new-to-me stand and it looks in perfect condition. only problem is ive never used a climbing stand. I've always had a lean-to stand.any advice? ill take a few pictures of it, and hopefully someone can tell me where all these straps and buckles go. ((i still need to get a good harness, any info on that would also be greatly apprecitive. thanks!))

BackwardsBowhunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2007, 08:38 AM

lets see those pics. do you know what kind it is? also a tip before you go hunting. practice with it on a tree in your yard somewhere. that way your more comfortable with putting it up before daylight with the only light being your flashlight.

i still use the harness that came with my hang on stands. google 'hunting harness for deer stands' and you will have plenty of online choices.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackwardsBowhunter View Post
hey guys, i just bought a new-to-me stand and it looks in perfect condition. only problem is ive never used a climbing stand. I've always had a lean-to stand.any advice? ill take a few pictures of it, and hopefully someone can tell me where all these straps and buckles go. ((i still need to get a good harness, any info on that would also be greatly apprecitive. thanks!))

BackwardsBowhunter
Here's a quick Video on Treestand safety and clip of a Climbing tree stand..

Hope this helps
Click Here for Video

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 10-28-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:22 AM
B&C 180 Class

I'm a hard butt when it comes to saftey.If you dont know how to use dont use it.You cant hunt too good when your dead or paralyzed.Trust me i climb steel for a living.My harness saved my life more than once.I would get a hunter saftey systems harness.Its a vest ,2 buckles in front 2 straps ,1 round each leg with a seat belt typ connection,IDIOT proff.mind you im not calling you an idiot.If your stand didnt come with instructions,did you buy it used?ebay?call the comapany and email them.writting and old fashioned letter is best .tell them you have one of thier products and you think that someone not you would consider not giving info on how to use said product is negligent and grounds for a law suit.But your not that type of person.I bet they call you send you all the info and some hats ,shirts etc..Again if you dont know how it works leave it alone,take it from the man with 8 bad disks in his spine
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-28-2007, 11:16 PM

Make sure that you gain every bit of info even before you try using the stand. Get instructions, then a TMA certified fall restraint harness and much, much practice at ground level so when you do feel comfortable enough to go up a tree to hunt you'll have confidence and feel secure up there. It's all about safety man. When you do get the hang of climbing it'll be a whole different ball game because you'll be more versatile and be able to hunt from so many different locations and positions. I do recall seeing a vest type harness on a website a couple days ago it may be the one that joel the signman is referring to. There are some harnesses that only a spider could figure out but that vest deal looks like an easy operation. I'll send you a PM when I find that vest.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:01 AM
B&C 100 Class

Make sure ya get a safety harness.. I've forgot mine and i've tied myself to the tree with a rope... Not a very good feeling.. Make sure ya are very familiar with your treestand.. better to be alive right than dead wrong..
Old 10-30-2007, 01:42 AM
Scrub Buck

Bruce....nice videos
Old 10-30-2007, 08:40 PM
B&C 180 Class

hunter saftey systems.is the vest harness try you'll like it
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-31-2007, 09:44 PM
Scrub Buck

Thanks guys for all the good advice, ill get the pics posted tonight, havent really had that much time with halloween right up on us,( i have 3 kids) so we did alot of walking tonight.

it'll be a little bit before im able to get that harness, im in the middle of changing jobs to a local hospital.

so i guess in this time period i could practice climbing on it in a tree in the backyard. not too high tho, a couple feet off the ground, then setting in it and bending side to side, and figureing out what my limits are for manuverability. good to know when you've leaned too far to one side, rather than not knowing..

thanks again everyone for the support.

i'll have those pictures up momentarely.

Scott

Backwardsbowhunter.