Tree stand for acrophobics. - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 10-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Tree stand for acrophobics.

Just getting started with crossbow hunting. My friends swear by tree stands at 20-30ft. I don't see myself sitting in a seat not much bigger than my rear 20-30ft in the air. So, are there any acrophobics in tree stands out there? If so, what kind of tree stands are you using? I like the idea and portability of a climbing stand, but there will probably not be 20-30 ft height. I probably won't make it past 15ft if that. I might just stay on the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 08:29 PM
B&C 140 Class

15 to 20 is what I like, I harvested two deer last year out of 12 foot ladder stands with my bow and both were under 20 yards away. 30 to me seems a little too much, and a litte tip I I do when I do use the climbers, I climb the tree and find my best shot areas and mark my tree with a ribbon at my height and at the direction my face is looking at when climbing so I can put my stand back in the same spot in the dark when I come in for the morning hunt.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:40 PM

my ladder stands are all 15-16' works for me. I do camo myself in with pine or hemlock. I do not get busted and can't remember the last time a deer snorted downwind. De-scent all your hunting clothes, then yourself. 30' high not for me.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:50 PM
B&C 140 Class

I have been to 30'. I would only go there again if the situation warranted it. other wise I like 20'. My ladder is 20 and I generally use my climber at that height.
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 10-31-2011, 05:36 AM

Many articles have been written regarding stand height with the best average coming in at 15 feet. Some guys like going a little higher but when you go higher into the umbrella you begin to lose distant sight, the higher you go the more you lose.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:14 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwyknight View Post
I like the idea and portability of a climbing stand, but there will probably not be 20-30 ft height. I probably won't make it past 15ft if that.

If I'm not mistaken, with climbers you can go as high (or low) as you want.

BTW, i only use ladder stands and I have one hang on stand and they are all no more than 15ft. Now I am going to buy a 17ft, 2 person stand this Christmas... 20ft to me is INSANE!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:34 PM
B&C 100 Class

I have a pretty strong fear of heights and what I can say that the stand doesn't matter too much but the SAFETY STRAP is where confidence comes in. I bought a new Muddy Outdoors safety strap this year and it makes me feel more secure than ever in a tree.

Stands can help a little bit if you get one that you see has solid construction, good tree bite, and (what I like) a big foot platform and seat that has a full wrap around bar ( not just a seat with open front). I currently use an Ol' Man Grand Vision. Also, I have NEVER found a reason to climb over 20 ft in a tree. Just note, the further you go up, the weaker the tree gets (smaller diameter with added 150-300 lbs on one side or the other). I've known people that went 30-40 ft up in a tree and it started to bend/break.

Some generall tips to help your fear:

1. Practice. Practice. Practice. Start by attaching your stand to the tree and then going to 6-8 ft (do it a few times, start to finish). Then redo it and go to 10-12 feet. Then finally repeat it going to 15-20 feet.

2. Even while standing on the ground, place your safety strap at appropraite height (above eye level) and try to sit on the ground. If your strap is adjusted right, you shouldn't be able to sit down. However, you will hang a few inches to a foot off the ground. Try this again but with more of a quick falling action. Your strap should easily hold you up or dramatically slow your descent.

3. My biggest fear is that something will malfunction with my stand or my strap because of my bad luck and common forgetfulness. However, practicing like I describe lets me get used to setting up my stand, getting comfortable with moving around in it while its on a tree, and enforces my confidence in my equipment. Knowing that I have a good/reliable stand, a very secure safety strap, and knowledge that I've done it over and over again without trouble.

Best of luck
Old 10-31-2011, 05:34 PM
Scrub Buck

Thanks for the great info! I'm looking at Treewalker stands right now. At this point I might just go the cheaper route for the season and get better cammo and or a small portable blind. Here is a good laugh for you; when I was in my late teens part of my job was to build 30ft scaffolding towers! Currently I fly airplanes and helicopters for a living! Lol. Go figure
Old 11-01-2011, 04:14 PM
B&C 100 Class

TreeWalker stands are good stand from my experience. I had a college class with the son of the guy who makes them. I got to look at some of their line and liked em, but I buy everything on a budget so....
Old 11-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Scrub Buck

I use 3-piece 15ft ladder stands and 2-piece climbers. Max height for me is 15ft and I commonly climb only 10-12 ft with my climbers, and sometimes only use 2 sections of my ladders at 10 feet. I hunt mostly in cover and shots are close. Additional height would only increase the angle on my shots.